Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or other for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't have any trouble with a Dyna as long as you add the right accessories for tourning comfort. Wife has a 96 FXD with corbin seat, windshield, floorboards and soft bags. easy 300 mile days and has done almost 500 once.

There are lots of very good used Dyna's out there. They ride and handle great. I sometimes take the wifes bike and leave my heavy ultra at home just for the fun of riding the Dyna.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be worried about only being able to afford a dyna. No problems for long rides, even 2 up. I'm a big guy and ride with the wife no problem. If I rode solo, I could go all day. Added a small windshield, mustang wide seat and adding saddlebags.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,818 Likes on 1,464 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
If you're young, get the Dyna. If you're past 40, you'll wish you had found a good used touring bike.
I'm way, way past 40 and I love my Dyna. Windshield, bags, highway pegs very comfortable many 500 to 800 mi days, but I also ride alone. But if you might some day have a passenger, especially on a long ride with all your gear then you might want to look into a touring model.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you anticipate any cross-country rides in the near future with a passenger, I would vote to save up for a Road King Standard all the way. There are plenty of used ones on ebay. I did a 3000-mile ride with my wife on our Heritage and we made it fine, but a touring bike would have been a little more comfortable for her. That being said, if you don't plan on riding long distance with a passenger, almost any Harley will do. My brother rides a Dyna Fat Bob and loves it for all types of riding (his wife won't ride with him on the long runs though).

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Love my 2000 Dyna FXDL, but if I'm heading out on a 500 mile day, I'm jumping on the RG.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM
mkershner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 FXDS Dyna Low Rider Convertible

I love my Dyna for commuting and the occasional weekend runs. I ride it probably 25 days a month; about 9K miles a year. However, I do get a bit skittish up around 70+ miles an hour. With those skinny tires, it seems that the road, wind, and vehicle drafts tend to toss me all over my lane. The occasional road trip is OK, I just keep my speed down closer to 60 or 65.

Just my thoughts . . ..

Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

I had a Dyna... It was pimped and FUN as hell. I had a 6th gear.

I traded for a Street Glide because of MY riding style.

Personally, I don't like the look of soft bags.

It's all about what you want! A Dyna is an awesome bike...

This was mine...

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dyna is great for solo touring. Just ain't big enough for me and the OL for touring. Nothing HD makes handles the twisties better than an FXD.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wife and i ride all over and tour with my bike. Of course, my wife is 125lbs and the bike is heavily modified for touring. Lol

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM
BillyBobJoe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sorry for such a late response I's been very busy this weekend. But thanks very much for all the responses, I read every one.

It sounds like it can depend on riding style, etc. Some can tour very comfortably on a Dyna while others barley on a RK.

I am young so that ain't a problem.

But, it sounds like it isn't quite as nice on the highway as the bigger bikes, like against wind. My Shadow 700 is nice but when the winds get very strong its not that fun. It only ways about 500 pounds though. Its basically a Sportster 883 with a higher revving water cooled engine and such in terms of riding, about the same weight, size, etc. It has good power in the high RPMs and decent in the low. But it does lack a bit in the low compared to a Harley of course. But on the highway, when theres real strong winds its fun for a while but gets fatiging and stuff blowing all over at 65+ MPH. Espically gusts of side winds nearly knock it over!

The Dyna may work for me though it sounds like its a good bike. I can tolerate a little ruffing around in the wind but don't think I enjoy the ride so much if its always all over the place.

Also, as far as styles go, I kind of like the classic look with leather bags and such. The Electra Glides look ok to me though wouldn't mind one.

But the Dynas are more in my price range. The Electra Glides that is usually have pretty high milage and they need them rebuilds at like 100K and such.

But occasionally a 90s RK comes up in my range.

Quick Reply: Dyna or other for touring?