Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightest and easiest bike to handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Along with the rebel, there is a Virago 250 that is light and low. Also, if she takes the class (whcih I strongly encourage), and comes out with a decent amount of confidence, a used Suzuki C50 (or S83 or the like) is cheap, fairly light and handle well. Once she gets comfy and confident on that, she can step up to the Harley of her choice. I'm a 5'6", 130# female that stepped up from the C50 to a Street Glide.

Once again, I highly encourage the class before getting on a bike in the parking lot; hubbies/boyfriends/friends don't usually make the best instructor for someone who has never ridden before! Most states have a very inexpensive MSF class and the instructors are used to taking complete newbies from learning the controls, to standing the bike up, to riding.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bogieb

Once again, I highly encourage the class before getting on a bike in the parking lot; hubbies/boyfriends/friends don't usually make the best instructor for someone who has never ridden before! Most states have a very inexpensive MSF class and the instructors are used to taking complete newbies from learning the controls, to standing the bike up, to riding.
+1 on this reply.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife started with an 883 Sportster in 2008, with no riding experience other than MSF Basic and she's still riding with no problems. The 883 might work for a new rider because it has less power to control as they learn to use the throttle and clutch.

I disagree with cdemarse - I traded my Sportster for a softail, but I'd like to have the Sportster back fro riding around town. The light weight and easy/quick handling is noticeably different. The Softail has more power and feels like it can take curves faster

Last edited by brenn; 03-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM
jwhardin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublerunner
In your opinions what would be the lightest HD available and what is the easiest to handle? Are they one and the same? Perhaps not but she is very nervous about it.

sporty.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

A used metric is the best bet. You can sell it for what you paid and they're a dime a dozen. It's gonna' get dropped...count on it.

Make her take a class first. If you buy a bike and let her practice before the class, she may pick up some bad habits that you don't recognize as such. You (or she) might get frustrated, or she just might not find it has fun as she thought. Now you gotta' spend time selling the throw down metric.

The worst case scenario is she takes the class, learns how everything works, tells you she'd rather be a passenger, and you're only out the price of the class.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
- I traded my Sportster for a softail, but I'd like to have the Sportster back fro riding around town. The light weight and easy/quick handling is noticeably different. The Softail has more power and feels like it can take curves faster
I know the feeling. I sold my sporty before leaving Japan and got a Night Train here in the states. I'm still working on the NT to get it whereI want and my sportster was all set up already but I definitely feel a difference. I love my train but wish I still had the sporty as well. Wifey has a sporty still but she's tiny and it's set up for her so I'm cramped as hell on it.

Plan on getting another XL, probably an older one, later on and making a little bar hopper out of it. They're a lot of fun.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Ockam
Tourer

The MSF class is a must have. Drop her off and just keep the phone handy in case she makes a decision she doesn't like it.
Don't hover, it will only erode her esteem, let her do it herself, and it will be a big win when she gets the endorsement.
You want to be supportive without smothering,and be excited for her and with her, without pushing your own agenda.
Most female riders do better with other women, and actually won't tell their husband/boyfriends whats really shaking their confidence...the guy.

We tried a 1200 sportster for my wife's first bike...big mistake. Little accident but big in the pocket. Was too much bike for a 5' 2" learner. The fault was on the dealer talking up the ride to land a good sale and my wife's and I enthusiasm.

We went and picked up a used 650cc Suzuki Boulevard C50, little Honda Rebel sized bike. Easy to handle, great to learn, really built up her confidence. Took only a few months before she put a leg over the 883 Superlow. She loves her bike now, I mean cannot get enough.

Eventually she may want a big V-Twin, but never let enthusiasm out weigh common sense. Start with a used Metric, something you won't mind banging around and learning on. Then when the time comes, take it in steps. Don't leapfrog to a big 103 tourer just because she can ride a bit.

It's better to be safe and build up confidence in stages.

Last edited by Ockam; 03-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a pretty big controversy going a couple years back, that the Buell Blast was too big of a bike for a beginners course. There were instances of new riders losing control of the bike and being badly injured, I think there were a couple deaths, unheard of freak-type accidents. That said a Sporty is more powerful then a Blast, heavier and the recommendation for a smaller, lighter metric, especially something she can pick up after a spill and isn't likely to trap her under it after a spill is sensible. My wife has considered riding and wants to take the course that provides the motorcycle before buying one, so she can decide if it is for her. I think you could make an arguement that a Sportster is a good beginner Harley, but is not a good Harley for a beginner motorcylist.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Harley's Riders Edge uses the Buell's.

The state run MSF courses use a mix of bikes. The one I and my wife attended used Honda Rebel's, Kawasaki Eliminators, and Virago's all at 250 cc.
There were 2Buell Blasts (terrible bikes due to age, maintenance, wear, and typically lugging the engine), and one goofy Kawasaki Dirt Bike for the over 6' 4" guy who attended.

New riders get to choose their own bikes and can find the one with the best fit and feel.

Never take the course in Summer. You are outside all day on Saturday and Sunday (8 hours) with typically no shade and out on the asphalt. Bring sunscreen, lots of water, a snack (peanut butter is good) to keep energy up, and a hat for when you can take your helmet off. It sounds over precautions, but trust me, its better to be over prepared when you are outdoors all day than under prepared.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones77
I'd suggest a Yamaha 650 V Star. Know several ladies of petite stature that ride this bike. Very good for the beginner. Shouldn't get hung up on the Harley name. Ride what fits you and is fun.

Bones
My choice is a Suzuki Boulveard S40 for non- HD. It isa 650cc and I would definitely consider this bike. I think she would love the Sportster SuperLow but it will need to be modified. I love my SuperLow and I am short with not much upper body strength. I need to get into the gym!

Quick Reply: Lightest and easiest bike to handle