General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Oh, yeah!
I think those are only 4" heels, the OP wants 8".

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Asolos.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Danner Ft Lewis - gore tex liner, insulated or not, very comfy once broke in, first pair I have over 15 years and still would be wearing them (with new soles) had one not gone missing at work. Got a new pair to break in now and a lower cut version called the Blackhawk.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Danner Ft Lewis - gore tex liner, insulated or not, very comfy once broke in, first pair I have over 15 years and still would be wearing them (with new soles) had one not gone missing at work. Got a new pair to break in now and a lower cut version called the Blackhawk.
I'm considering the Danner Super Rain Forest boots. I've tried slip-on harness boots, but they just aren't as "secure" as lace-on boots and not very comfortable to walk in when off the bike. I have a pair of Timberland Gore-Tex, over-the-ankle light hikers that are great for warm weather, but they can be uncomfortably cold when riding below 50 degrees. I'm hoping an insulated "logger" style boot like the Danners will work well for colder weather.

Last edited by Nirvana; 03-07-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Looks like a similar boot, the only things I don't care for is the white stitching and the full heal rather than the sloped heal but that is just personal preference. When I got the new Ft Lewis boots I went with the 200g insulation and my experience with them so far is that while the insulation helps, when temps get around 40 or lower then even with wool socks your feet WILL get cold after a while. I also notice that in spite of the full gore-tex bootie you can still feel some drafts at lower temps. (or maybe just getting cold) And yet, with some Gerbing sock liners I find myself reaching for the shorter Blackhawks even when temps are just above freezing so if you want warm feet - plug in!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Looks like a similar boot, the only things I don't care for is the white stitching and the full heal rather than the sloped heal but that is just personal preference. When I got the new Ft Lewis boots I went with the 200g insulation and my experience with them so far is that while the insulation helps, when temps get around 40 or lower then even with wool socks your feet WILL get cold after a while. I also notice that in spite of the full gore-tex bootie you can still feel some drafts at lower temps. (or maybe just getting cold) And yet, with some Gerbing sock liners I find myself reaching for the shorter Blackhawks even when temps are just above freezing so if you want warm feet - plug in!
Thanks for your impressions. I would consider the Fort Lewis, but Danner's web site claims they are built narrow for better support when on your feet and I have wide toes. I am planning to add Gerbing boot inserts, but I wanted to start with a boot that could do a good job of keeping the wind out in the first place. Do you put anything like snow-seal on your boots? I'm wondering if that might help prevent wind from penetrating the seams?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nirvana
Thanks for your impressions. I would consider the Fort Lewis, but Danner's web site claims they are built narrow for better support when on your feet and I have wide toes. I am planning to add Gerbing boot inserts, but I wanted to start with a boot that could do a good job of keeping the wind out in the first place. Do you put anything like snow-seal on your boots? I'm wondering if that might help prevent wind from penetrating the seams?
First with Danner, remember that you can get them in wide or narrow widths and also there is a half insole which is pretty rigid that I never cared for, removing that makes them feel wider and also remember that being leather it will stretch out. I need to do this with my new ones yet but on my other two I would submerge the entire boot in hot water for an hour or two, drain them and they wear them wet for as long as I could stand - go for short hike and then let them dry and you get instant break in and they mold to your foot and become nice and flexible. What I would do is find a Danner dealer and try a few different ones on with and without that insole they come with, if they feel just a little snug then you should be fine once they break in and mold to your foot.

I'm not entirely sure there is any air leaking in, might just be an impression from getting cold after a period of time since they all have a full gore-tex bootie which in theory should not allow wind or water to penetrate. There's no need to snow seal them, in the past I have stood in ice cold (mountain runoff) streams up to the top of the boot and not felts one drop of water.......unless it goes over the top - then you're screwed.