General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you extract worn Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Timax52
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you extract worn Bolts?

Hi

I am replacing old zinc bolts on my 2000 RKC and replacing with chrome kit. I have a Torx bolt on the derby cover that has sheared...how would i remove that .

Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 AM
GlidingFree
Novice

I had the same thing happen. I just used an easy out. Basically you drill a hole & put the easy out in to turn it. If you don't have one your local hardware store should have one fairly cheap.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use lots of PB Blaster. Leave it on over night to penetrate. You might be able to get it out by drilling a small hole down the center and using easyout bolt extractors or worst case would be drilling out and tetapping the threads or use helicoil. I know those are small bolts so easyout might not be an option. My kit has some small easyouts in it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

If there is enough of the bolt sticking out I use a pair of vice grips to twist it out.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 AM
jpr8r
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 19 Posts

If it is sheared, you might have to drill it out. If there is something left to grab onto, you might be able to turn it out.
When the head of the bolt on my fender strut was stripped, I did the following:
1. Pray. (I did this throughout this process.)
2. Spray it with PB Blaster and give it an hour or so of contact time.
3. Try to get a set of vice grips on it, and give it a little turn. (At this point, you might be home free, but if you are not...
4. Find a drill bit that is harder than the bolt you are trying to remove and half the diameter. CAREFULLY drill through the center of the bolt. Don't let any filings fall someplace you don't want them or can't retrieve them.
5. Use an EZ-OUT bit to extract the bolt. You can also run a screw into the hole you just drilled with opposite threads.

I hope this works. I know how frustrating it is.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 6 piece EZ Out set that I use.

Roadrider18
Tourer

+1 using the EZ_OUT!

Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,334 Likes on 5,876 Posts

Be really careful with an "easy-out" on a bolt that small...if you break it, you just opened a whole new can of worms. That bolt is not in a blind hole...so I would drill through it with a small drill bit...then a would drill though it with a slightly larger bit...more than likely the bigger bit will "catch" and screw the remaining piece out.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

As you can see...depends on if the derby cover's still on, or off. My guess is it's still on bike w/torx center stripped. If this is the case = easy fix is to drill center (bit size tad larger than screw) and get cover off. Then extract threads w/pliers or visegrip.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Before you do any drilling try a few things. Get a flat punch that completely covers the head and give it a few good taps with a hammer. A lot of times that will unseize a bolt. If you have spline drive sockets (or a friend has some), tap one of those in there. They grab pretty good.

When you say "Sheared", did the head already spin off? If so, Take out the other 4 torx bolts so you can get the derby cover out of your way. If you can't grab the end of the broken bolt then grind the broken end flat with a dremel. It's easier to center a punch that way. Using "easy-outs" that are that small usually just break off before you get the bolt to turn. You may end up just drilling a hole slightly smaller than the thread size. Using a tap sometimes you get lucky and the tap unscrews the old remains of the bolt right out the backside without damaging the threads. good luck.

Another trick I learned many years ago is to smear "valve grinding compound" on a spline drive or square drive socket head that you are tapping into a buggered head. It helps the bit "bite" into the damaged head better. Of course if you find a friend who HAS valve grinding compound you may as well drag him over to look at your situation. If a guy has that in his box, chances are he also has the auto/motorcycle experience to deal with any broken or stripped bolts you can throw at him, Lol.

Last edited by BikerV; 03-04-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: How do you extract worn Bolts?