Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$20+ to gas up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
Damn, can't you read? I am talking about the GUBMINT getting the hell out of the way!
Hell, can't you read? The American segments of the line were going to service the ASIAN market, not the domestic. Commodities flow to the highest bidder (which, apparently, ain't gonna be you).

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should read about this pipeline.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline

You tell me how a pipeline from Canada to our refineries would be going to China instead of to us. Since the Keystone pipeline was nixed by Obummer, the Canadians have now decided to reroute their pipeline to their west coast so it can go to China. We will get none of it.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

[QUOTE=djbiker;9484905]Maybe you should read about this pipeline.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline

You tell me how a pipeline from Canada to our refineries would be going to China instead of to us. Since the Keystone pipeline was nixed by Obummer, the Canadians have now decided to reroute their pipeline to their west coast so it can go to China. We will get none of it.[/QUOTE]
Let me in on something my naive little brother, countries and companies have interests, not friends. The chinese hold the dollars, and we hold the debt. The canuck oil sands aren't cheap to harvest or refine....use your head for something other than a hatrack....the market is international. Your approach is based on smoke, dreams, and market protectionism. Ain't gonna happen. Wherever the deep port pipeline terminal ends up, it 's going to those 'emerging and growing' markets with demand and plenty of cash.....that ain't us.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Of course the market is international, however it is not in our national interest to sell to countries that are our enemies. If you don't think we have friends and enemies in the world, I would have to say that you haven't been anywhere much. The Arab nations hate us and would destroy us if they could. England is a friend as is Canada, and Israel.

Yes, money talks, but it is not the be all and end all of even a Capitalist system. During WWII I bet we could have made more money selling to Germany than kicking their asses, but it would not have been the right think to do. We have Allies and Enemies. Obama has them confused and we are paying the price. Bow to the Saudi prince and take it in the butt, or tell OPEC that we will drill our own oil and no longer need them, and suddenly the price drops to $10 a barrel. It has happened more than once, but now our president wants to rid us of any oil usage anywhere, ours or theirs. If he can make it expensive enough we will try alternatives. The problem is, there are no viable alternatives.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Of course the market is international, however it is not in our national interest to sell to countries that are our enemies. If you don't think we have friends and enemies in the world, I would have to say that you haven't been anywhere much. The Arab nations hate us and would destroy us if they could. England is a friend as is Canada, and Israel.

Yes, money talks, but it is not the be all and end all of even a Capitalist system. During WWII I bet we could have made more money selling to Germany than kicking their asses, but it would not have been the right think to do. We have Allies and Enemies. Obama has them confused and we are paying the price. Bow to the Saudi prince and take it in the butt, or tell OPEC that we will drill our own oil and no longer need them, and suddenly the price drops to $10 a barrel. It has happened more than once, but now our president wants to rid us of any oil usage anywhere, ours or theirs. If he can make it expensive enough we will try alternatives. The problem is, there are no
viable alternatives.
I've spent a bit of time kicking around this world. If you're silly enough to believe that multinationals and countries think about 'friendship' rather than self interest and profit, then you're hopelessly deluded. Time to grow up, and bite the bullet...it's a world market. You had it cheap...and the world ain't working that way. If blaming gubmint makes you feel better, fine...everybody needs a scapegoat...it's an easier path then taking responsibility.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

...England is a friend as is Canada, and Israel.
I've only met a few Israelis, and they hated us. Said we've made ourselves an evil necessity by arming the Arabs so the Israelis have to depend on us, too. I don't know if that's a common feeling among Israelis or not, but obviously they don't all like us. England is a friend... I'd have happily shot the bastards in the 60's when they had supply ships in Haiphong Harbor, but I'm a forgiving type, bygones. But I'd never trust them. And they'd be fools to completely trust us, too.

Last edited by Imold; 03-05-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

it is too cold to ride here, and the roads are covered with salt anyway.. it costs me $20 in fuel every time i leave the house in my truck

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Kiwiglide
Novice

Interesting topic. Everything is relative and no one likes paying more. Im on the other side of the world and we pay $2.20 per litre. My SG has a 22.7 litre tank. Gulp. Most of the cost to us is in tax. I was with a bunch of Kiwis touring your fine country last year and we couldnt believe how little a visit to the pump cost. I think most fill ups where around $17 on an Ultra.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Look at the positive side; when it costs $60 to fill up your bike, you won't have that riding with a herd of elephants feeling you get today with so many suv's around you; might even feel like the king of the jungle riding to work looking down at all those people on little chinese scooters getting out of your way.