General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?

I've been hearing a lot of claims about the relative toughness of riding leathers made from these different beasts. Any opinions or experience?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I did alot of research on this a few years ago. Buffalo is supposed to be the toughest and thickest. If it is treated properly by both the factory and you, it is supposed to be one of the softest most supple and most toughest leathers you can use for a jacket. The only drawback is it is heavier then cowhide.

Horsehide???? Dude, never heard that one, but I don't know everything....close but not quite...

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Buffalo was the favorite back in the 1800's.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
I did alot of research on this a few years ago. Buffalo is supposed to be the toughest and thickest. If it is treated properly by both the factory and you, it is supposed to be one of the softest most supple and most toughest leathers you can use for a jacket. The only drawback is it is heavier then cowhide.

Horsehide???? Dude, never heard that one, but I don't know everything....close but not quite...
Really? You've never heard of horsehide - the classic high-dollar leather for everything from motorcycle jackets to holsters.

That was not good research.

OP - here, I googled "horsehide" for you and here's the #2 result, "cowhide vs. horsehide":
http://www.holsters.org/which.htm

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Buffalo was the favorite back in the 1800's.
That was the American "bison" kind of buffalo. You can still get some stuff made from them, now that there are commercial herds, but I think it is pretty expensive. No doubt it's good stuff. Most of the leather sold as "buffalo" now days is mostly from "water buffalo" from Asia or Africa.

Last edited by brenn; 03-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Legendar...ket-p/2400.htm

I bought one of these jackets in 2004. It is still breaking in. Horse hide breaks in differently than cow hide. By that I mean it creases differently and has a different kind of look to it. More of a smoother less grainy look to it.

It is super heavy weight but then all good leather jackets would be that way.
Just personal preference I guess. Won't say one is better than another.

For me it was all about buying something a little different than the masses.
I love the jacket and it still looks like the day I got it but it is heavy.

JMO
Ratkiller

Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Horse hide is naturallly water proof. I have some boots, gunleather and belts that are of horsehide. Thats some very durable leather.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:14 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always considered horse to be the thickest highest quality leather for clothing followed by buffalo and then cow.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

One of the softest leather I've worked with was Elk. I bought a whole hide to do all my fringe work last summer.

It'd be great if U want really soft leather.

Also for really good prices and service I buy from.
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm

They also have Bison and cowhides in there shop.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Wow, this will be my second horsehide post today... lol. Man, I hope it stops raining already so I can get out and ride. Horsehide is far more durable than either cow or buffalo leather. Check out some of the sites that sell horsehide and you will see this to be a fact. It is also considered a premium material and as such you will pay a heck of a lot more for it than a comparable jacket or vest made from traditional leather (with the caveat that if Harley sells it, you will still pay more for cow leather). As mentioned above, it is physically different in that it is very thick and stiff and requires actual break in time. Most commercial leather jackets feel great right off the rack. My experience has been that if it feels great when brand new, and doesn't require extensive wear in time before its broken in, you probably have a run of the mill coat. Vanson and Schott are probably the best known of the Horsehide jacket manufactures, but Legendary, Hillside, and Lost Worlds (horribly over priced) are also worth looking at. I have a Hillside.

Here's a brief description taken from the Biker Den site explaining horsehide.

Horsehide Motorcycle Jackets for Men:
Horsehide leather motorcycle jackets give you the utmost in durability with horsehide surpassing cowhide in thickness, durability and quality. If you want a motorcycle jacket that will last longer than your bike, a horse leather motorcycle jacket is for you.

Probably the best way "I" can describe a horsehide jacket is like this..... Think of it as owning a parrot, the stupid thing will still be around long after your gone. So make plans to leave it in your will to avoid family heirloom squabbles.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 03-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Horsehide is thick and heavy. Perfect if you fall down alot. It also takes like twenty years to break in, hope you stay the same size.

My last set of leathers I ordered in goatskin. (Langlitz) Light and breaks in very fast. More waterprooof than cow. Supposed to be very tough for the weight. More comfortable than horse or cow.

Be careful when comparing leathers. I see a lot of guys here saying this brand or that one has better or thicker leather. Cowhide is available in a light, medium or heavy grade. A competition grade (racing) is not the same as a medium weight touring jacket or a lightweight fashion jacket. On another thread somebody said that Schott made too light a motorcycle jacket. Bull, he had a fashion jacket and did not know better. Their steerhide or horsehide gear is quite tough. Buffalo is very popular for boots or shoes.

Whatever you do buy a brand name. Pay more now and it won't shred on you sliding down the road.

Quick Reply: Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?