Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM
iqbaliqbal
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
I make, and restore, a lot of saddle bags and bike accessories and have used Cow, Buffalo and Horse hide for various items. Simply put, regardless of the hide, if you use the correct weight hide for the application and look after it properly, all of these hides will last as long as each other.

As far as abrasion resistance is concerned, Buffalo tends to be the hardest wearing, especially for really hard scrapes, or god forbid sliding down the road with 300 lbs of motorcycle on top. That said, any of these hides arent gonna look pretty after a bad scrape.

Horse hide marks easier, but as far as tough goes it wears very well, and tends to be more supple than cow or buffalo.

Deer or Elk is the way to go for gloves.

As with everything, looking after your leather will significantly increase its longevity. I see gear come in for restoration all the time that could have been avoided if it's owner spend 30 mins once a month oiling or treating the leather.
If you are storing bags etc for winter, dont shove them in a plastic bag, leather needs to breath. Moist or Humid storage aint good either. Cool dry storage with a simple cotton sheet over the top will be just right, and oil your gear before you store it away.

Sorry for the leather lesson, as much as I appreciate the restoration work, i would rather see the gear out and in use and looked after
Resurrecting an old thread (again)!

Hey Krazy 8s - any suggestions / recommendations for the breaking-in and maintenance of a new horsehide jacket? I've read conflicting stuff online...everything from "do nothing at all" to "get a water bottle and spray the hide when wearing the jacket".

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
I did alot of research on this a few years ago. Buffalo is supposed to be the toughest and thickest. If it is treated properly by both the factory and you, it is supposed to be one of the softest most supple and most toughest leathers you can use for a jacket. The only drawback is it is heavier then cowhide.

Horsehide???? Dude, never heard that one, but I don't know everything....close but not quite...
Horsehide is my preference for holsters. Tighter grain that doesn't absorb moisture like the cowhide. Visually I can't see a difference between the two.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by iqbaliqbal
Resurrecting an old thread (again)!

Hey Krazy 8s - any suggestions / recommendations for the breaking-in and maintenance of a new horsehide jacket? I've read conflicting stuff online...everything from "do nothing at all" to "get a water bottle and spray the hide when wearing the jacket".

Thanks in advance!
iqbaliqbal, depends what you mean by "Broken in". If you mean you want it looking aged and vintage real fast, go riding in the rain a couple of times and get it good and properly soaked. Horse hide, when it gets soaked through becomes maleable and will retain any creases once its dry, and will look like you've been living in it for years. Let it dry out at room temperature.

If you want it looking "care worn", just wear it and look after it as per normal, it'll age naturally and will stop looking "new" in a month or 2.
Give it time to develop a natural look and patina, takes longer, but is much better for the leather, and looks better too.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
iqbaliqbal
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

iqbaliqbal, depends what you mean by "Broken in". If you mean you want it looking aged and vintage real fast, go riding in the rain a couple of times and get it good and properly soaked. Horse hide, when it gets soaked through becomes maleable and will retain any creases once its dry, and will look like you've been living in it for years. Let it dry out at room temperature.

If you want it looking "care worn", just wear it and look after it as per normal, it'll age naturally and will stop looking "new" in a month or 2.
Give it time to develop a natural look and patina, takes longer, but is much better for the leather, and looks better too.
Great feedback - thanks Krazy8's!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

No mention of the rare Naugha???

Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
jackets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My preference is horsehide. I've had my Legendary (made by Schott by the way)for 4 late Fall/Winter/Spring seasons now, and it's incredible. The first year it was a pain in the ***.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

And nothing of Kangaroo either, been wearing Held roo gloves for several years and they have held up (no pun intended) better than any glove I've ever owned. Said to be four times more resistant to tearing and with almost twice the abrasion resistance of conventional cow leather, kangaroo leather also has the advantage of being substantially thinner (and thus lighter) as well as supple and nearly impervious to sweat. Much of this is because kangaroo leather fibers run horizontally with the skin, whereas cowhide fibers are basically random

Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Kangaroo is seriously tough stuff and makes real nice gloves. Its nice for dress jackets etc but not to good for riding gear.
The problem despite its strength is that is thin. So if you're skidding down the asphalt in a roo jacket, the heat from friction will give you worse road rash than if you were wearing a thicker jacket.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM
DigitalRH
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to get 'Roo gloves in the US? Or is there an import restriction on such a thing?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Kangaroo is seriously tough stuff and makes real nice gloves. Its nice for dress jackets etc but not to good for riding gear.
The problem despite its strength is that is thin. So if you're skidding down the asphalt in a roo jacket, the heat from friction will give you worse road rash than if you were wearing a thicker jacket.

Many top brands of GP race suits are made of Kangaroo leather, it has been proven in the MotoGP world to work better and you know those guys still a lot more often and longer distances, higher speeds than any of us mere mortals.It may be thinner but it is stroger (10 times more than cow) and resists abrasion better than other leathers - yes it is thinner but in cow hide the part that gives it strength is underneath - the out layer quickly strips away
Originally Posted by DigitalRH
Is it possible to get 'Roo gloves in the US? Or is there an import restriction on such a thing?
Yes, check out Revzilla for their roo goods, I've go three seaons on a pair of the Held Steve gloves and as I said - great glove in great shape, doesn't seem to absorb sweat like others do - I wouldn't buy any other brand than Held now, no other gloves I've ever had has performed as well.

Quick Reply: Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?