General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a few Harley rider with pretty thick skin.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I know a few Harley rider with pretty thick skin.

Funny you say that. I have noticed quite a few on this board with VERY thin skin.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Lou you do know we are talking about the the relevance of goatskin for jackets. Yes motorcycle jackets. And respectfully you have no clue.
I guess I don't get the comparison, a baggy fitting pilot jacket that has not been in service for 60 years is your reasoning for goat being a good leather for MC jacket?

I don't doubt the tensile strength of the goat hide, most hides are very strong. The goat jackets I've seen all look like deflated balloons, loose, boxy cut and all around a poor option on a bike over steer or horse.

Most dudes who get Langlitz goat are older and let's say a bit rounder, so the goat suits them because of their body type. But for me goat isn't a good fit for MC leathers.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I for one am Flabbergasted. All these modern day experts and "All" this talk about leathers, and not one.

Yea that's right, not one.

Mention about Mule Hyde.

Yup just ask them Muleskinners about the durability of Mule-skin.

Geez, and I thought you guy's knew something

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would not want deer or elk skin jackets and pants. The very same qualities that make them so soft also makes them a bit tacky. You won't slide very far in them before that tacky softness grips and starts you rolling down the road instead of sliding.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In my first post I used the exaggeration of ("twenty years to break in") as an embellishment to make a point. Obviously, that went over somebodys head.

Leicafish makes a very important point, that fit is more important than material. That of course is the whole point in custom fit leathers. Quite frankly, there is no such thing as a "deflated ballons, loose, boxy cut" when it comes to a Langlitz jacket.

As far as the point of older dudes buying Langlitz, well I do fit that. While at 5'11" and 185 lbs. I'm not all that round, I have been riding 45 years and am well over sixty. With those years come a bit of experience. 35 years ago I bought my first custom made leather suit. Made by Passaic Leather Company. It was medium weight cowhide. Everything you might expect but nowhere near the perfect fit and quality of a Langlitz. You get what you pay for. I have a vented leather summer jacket by Vanson, about 15 years old. It's my summer protection but in truth, should I go down there's a good chance of the jacket riding up, causing road rash to the lower back and belly. But I do have the protection of medium weight cowhide if I slide head first. Now that's pretty stupid.

Babalou, Leica's right, you would not understand.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Horse hide is the best. That's why it costs twice as much as cowhide, and 5 times that of water buffalo.
It's more expensive because we don't eat enought horse

Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Xube
Oh, sorry, it's a brand of down parkas, not MC clothing made of little mountain rats.
Marmots are about the size of badgers. A rat that size would be a scary site.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew someone was gonna call me on the Little Marmots thing. BTW SteveO, I did mention mulehide boots. And for all the leather lessons, thanks.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Horse hide is the best. That's why it costs twice as much as cowhide, and 5 times that of water buffalo.
Wow, where you buying your horsehide from? I pay as little as 14 bucks for a whole horse butt (great for Chaps) Horse hide for me is cheaper than cow or Buffalo.

Then again I get my horse hides from france, they eat horse there so i guess there are more hides available as a result...

Quick Reply: Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?