General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Horse hide is naturallly water proof. I have some boots, gunleather and belts that are of horsehide. Thats some very durable leather.
I think all hides are naturally waterproof. Can you imagine if they weren't? Soggy cow innerds, soggy buffalo innerds, soggy horse innerds, soggy duck innerds, soggy people innerds. Hmmmm.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
I don't like Goat because every goat jacket I've ever seen looked like a deflated balloon. Goat is a relaxed leather, it doesn't really hold it's shape (not great for an MC jacket), it's perfect for fashion jackets and comfort, but for an MC jacket I think there are better leathers.

And the vast majority of period authentic A2's were generally horse, goat came much later when A2's were simply civilian repros sold to the masses. Gibson and Barnes, Aero, Lost Worlds etc... all of their authentic A2's are horse with the civilian models being goat. Flight-suits today that the pilots use are not leather, they are all synthetic materials, A2's are not actually used by pilots today, they are just fashion jackets.
USN and USMC G-1 Jacket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-1_military_flight_jacket

Interesting how many companies had the contracts to make these goatskin jackets before they where changed to leather.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
USN and USMC G-1 Jacket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-1_military_flight_jacket

Interesting how many companies had the contracts to make these goatskin jackets before they where changed to leather.
You do understand that pilots in the USMC and Navy do not actually wear the G-1 jacket in fighter jets and haven't for like 60 years though correct? I think the last time the Navy flew with a G-1 as part of the uniform was the Korean War. It's just a historical uniform they don't wear them in Jets at all. The G-1 and even the A-2 were developed more to keep the pilot warm than to offer any protection relative to what they would experience in a motorcycle slide anyway.

Last edited by babalu; 03-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
You do understand that pilots in the USMC and Navy do not actually wear the G-1 jacket in fighter jets and haven't for like 60 years though correct? I think the last time the Navy flew with a G-1 as part of the uniform was the Korean War. It's just a historical uniform they don't wear them in Jets at all. The G-1 and even the A-2 were developed more to keep the pilot warm than to offer any protection relative to what they would experience in a motorcycle slide anyway.
Lou you do know we are talking about the the relevance of goatskin for jackets. Yes motorcycle jackets. And respectfully you have no clue.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,527 Likes on 6,273 Posts

I have a heavy cowhide jacket, and elkskin chaps. Love both of them. Elkskin is really soft. Heard it is tough, but never tested that.

I would like a lighter jacket for temps over 75.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also be curious about elk- heavy, winter weight and wonderfully soft if Indian-tanned- but I don't know about abrasion resistance. The info about hide processing and which section of the hide the tough jacket/ pants or leggings are made is interesting. Thanks for the direction to Langlitz for advice. I do have a custom pair of mulehide boots I expect to be very tough. Have used glove weight horsehide for craft work- oddly stretchy. No MC clothing from it yet. Goat might make sense in the summer. Sliding down the rain grooves sounds like a genuine test of abrasion resistance.
This has been an interesting thread- thanks guys.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Pardon the double post, but on this thread I keep getting an ad for Marmot Jackets- what the f**k?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Oh, sorry, it's a brand of down parkas, not MC clothing made of little mountain rats.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I make, and restore, a lot of saddle bags and bike accessories and have used Cow, Buffalo and Horse hide for various items. Simply put, regardless of the hide, if you use the correct weight hide for the application and look after it properly, all of these hides will last as long as each other.

As far as abrasion resistance is concerned, Buffalo tends to be the hardest wearing, especially for really hard scrapes, or god forbid sliding down the road with 300 lbs of motorcycle on top. That said, any of these hides arent gonna look pretty after a bad scrape.

Horse hide marks easier, but as far as tough goes it wears very well, and tends to be more supple than cow or buffalo.

Deer or Elk is the way to go for gloves.

As with everything, looking after your leather will significantly increase its longevity. I see gear come in for restoration all the time that could have been avoided if it's owner spend 30 mins once a month oiling or treating the leather.
If you are storing bags etc for winter, dont shove them in a plastic bag, leather needs to breath. Moist or Humid storage aint good either. Cool dry storage with a simple cotton sheet over the top will be just right, and oil your gear before you store it away.

Sorry for the leather lesson, as much as I appreciate the restoration work, i would rather see the gear out and in use and looked after

Quick Reply: Cowhide vs horsehide vs buffalo?