Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent unlined USA made vest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decent unlined USA made vest?

Now, I know the vest topic is beat to death by some of the new comers, but i have a different twist on it.

I always bought my leather from the same shop, and unfortunately the times have closed it. I am in need of a new vest soon, and the only US made ones i can seem to find all have liners in them.

Is it possible to still get a good heavy duty US mad leather vest? Or is unlined considered low brow now and only comes from pakistan?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DTDK
...Is it possible to still get a good heavy duty US mad leather vest? Or is unlined considered low brow now and only comes from pakistan?
I've not seen an unlined vest in recent years but you could contact Fox Creek Leather and ask if they would make one for you.

FWIW, leather from Pakistan (and a couple other places) tends to be vat-dyed which is much better then the spray-dyed stuff we get here. Vat-dyed leather tends to hold the color much longer.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's lined, but lil joes is good thick American leather...you can even pick the color lining if it makes it a little more palitable for ya

Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sikk50
It's lined, but lil joes is good thick American leather...you can even pick the color lining if it makes it a little more palitable for ya
Damn, I didn't think he was going to eat it, just wear it.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

One word comes to mind" Fox Creek", whoops. Thats two words. Planning on a stop there on my ride back from Daytona. Dont need anything but just interested.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked to fox creek on the phone, I really like the looks of some of their stuff, we will see what happens

Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by DTDK
Is it possible to still get a good heavy duty US mad leather vest? Or is unlined considered low brow now and only comes from pakistan?
I recently bought a Horsehide vest from these guys:

http://www.hillsideusa.com/Men_s_Mot..._Vests_s/1.htm

100% American made with a lifetime warranty. If you want heavy duty, these guys make spectacular stuff. I am pretty sure they will be happy to make it without a liner because my deal was I needed my vest made WITH a custom green liner, and they were all to happy to oblige. In fact, before they would even make my vest, they insisted they send me a color swatch for the liner and piece of vest material for my approval. So I can't imagine them not being willing to custom make you one with no liner. One of my riding buddy's recently bought a Little Joe's for him and a Fox Creek for his wife. Both those shops make vests to order, have outstanding quality and I can say from personal experience with both those vests, are extremely well built. To the point the garbage the MOCO calls vests these days is almost comical.