General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012 | 10:10 PM
FXDXTSport
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Heated Gear Advice

I’ve decided it’s time to ride “heated” from neck to toe. Given that I don’t have a Playboy Bunny to ride on my lap I’m going to have to buy heated gear.
My plan is to by Gerbing G3 Gloves, jacket liner, pants liner and insoles. Those of you that have heated gear, is this the way you went or did you buy the jacket and pants?
My thoughts are that I already have a good leather jacket and pants that I try to wear almost all the time. When I’m on long rides, I can go from 30 degrees to 100+ degrees and I have limited space to carry gear so I would think the liners would take up less space than the jacket/pants when I’m not wearing them.
Are the liners effective and do they fit under normal size jacket/pants or would I need to buy new ones in a larger size?

Old 03-02-2012 | 10:12 PM
Bobby9621
Tourer

I have HD/Gerbings liner and gloves with dual thermostat and love the set up. I'm good for now. Wont go back. Should be less wear on liners then jackets, just my thoughts...

Old 03-02-2012 | 10:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I’ve decided it’s time to ride “heated” from neck to toe. Given that I don’t have a Playboy Bunny to ride on my lap I’m going to have to buy heated gear.
My plan is to by Gerbing G3 Gloves, jacket liner, pants liner and insoles. Those of you that have heated gear, is this the way you went or did you buy the jacket and pants?
My thoughts are that I already have a good leather jacket and pants that I try to wear almost all the time. When I’m on long rides, I can go from 30 degrees to 100+ degrees and I have limited space to carry gear so I would think the liners would take up less space than the jacket/pants when I’m not wearing them.
Are the liners effective and do they fit under normal size jacket/pants or would I need to buy new ones in a larger size?
The liner is light and thin. It should be a tight fit under the jacket. Here's what I did to mount my dual controler.

Attached Thumbnails Heated Gear Advice-2012-01-06_10-09-23_970.jpg  

Last edited by soft 02; 03-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2012 | 10:28 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Since you asked...

I went Gerbings dual controller w/ microwire T5 gloves, jacket liner, socks. Got my overpants from Craigslist dirt cheap, but they aren't microwire.
If you have a pair of riding pants you wear on a regular basis, the pant liners are good. Since I wear jeans, I went overpants. That way when I get to my destination or it warms up, they come off in seconds.
Gerbings stopped selling socks for a while and went with the heated insole. Now, the socks are back & better than ever. From what riding buddies have told me, they don't like the insole and have since bought the new socks. Said the insoles are too thick and made your boots feel smaller. Also, no room for thicker socks so the top of your feet get cold.

I'm heated from neck to toe, but plan on adding 2 more items. 1)The G3 gloves for the cooler days where the T5's are overkill. 2)The wireless remote from Warm & Safe. But I'll keep my Gerbings dual controller in the saddlebag in case something happens to the wireless while on the road.

It's an investment to get rolling, but you won't regret any of it...

Old 03-02-2012 | 10:39 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

You're on the right track, I go the socks instead of insoles because they heat the top and bottom of your foot but I will probably try the insoles next season just to see how it works. I got the T5 gloves, some say they are too thick but I don't find them to be - and they are not bad gloves on their own even when not plugged in, smells good too. In fact the liners don't do bad at all when not turned on - the microwire versions go from cold to warm in just 4 seconds. The only thing I would do different is get the warm and safe wireless controller rather than the Gerbing so it can be attached to the bike where you can see it. Some have done that with the Gerbing unit but what I don't like about that is then you have to plug in three wires that are under your gear.

Old 03-02-2012 | 11:11 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

Got the full microwire set,not cheap,but one ride in them on a cold day and you'll forget what they cost.Nice and thin,I just wear Xelement's black denim riders over the pant liners,and the jacket liner is tight also,fitting easily under a Langlitz jacket.Been riding all winter up here,except when there is snow/ice on the pavement.

Old 03-03-2012 | 06:05 PM
FXDXTSport
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks everybody. I knew I would get some informative information from experienced users and I appreciate it.

Based upon the responses, I'm going to change my plan and order the T5 Gloves, Jacket Liner, Overpants and socks. I'm going to go with the wired controller to start. I may switch to the wireless later.

Old 03-03-2012 | 10:57 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

You won't regret a single purchase from what you have listed.
Just making sure - you also need the $10 case/pouch for the controller. The Harley controller comes with the case, but the Gerbings is extra.

Also, see THIS POST for something else I think you'll like.
Let me know if you have any questions...

Old 03-03-2012 | 10:57 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Internet Explorer double-post....

Old 03-04-2012 | 09:16 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport

For your particular situation, the it sounds like the less you have to carry the better. And, since you already have a good leather jacket and pants, liners may be the way to go.

If your jacket and pants are already a pretty snug fit, the liners under them might make things a bit uncomfortable.

If you feel like you're going to have to get larger outerwear for the liners to fit under, I'd recommend going with the full heated jacket and pants instead of buying new outerwear and liners. You can ride over a wide range of temperature with the full heated jacket and pants. Even if the temperature isn't that low, you can ride with the heated gear unplugged and be very comfortable. The only other piece of gear you might need to carry at that point would be a light jacket. That's pretty much how I use the heated gear.

Quick Reply: Heated Gear Advice