General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacking out a 75 XLCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
ihb75
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randayn
JMO. If it is a basic stock bike, Keep it stock, clean it up polish what was polish and touch up with alum. paint.

If it all chopped up and not near original do as you feel.

A stock 75 is a classic. Stock pipes sound great on the Ironhead.

Are you doing a resto? Or a Rat Custom? Show some pics. Please.
I am doing a restoration of the 75 xlch I just picked up a couple weeks ago.

It's all in pieces now, sanding the fenders/gas tank and frame and painting it myself. I wanted to make a bobber out of it but now I may just restore completely stock.

Lately I have been thinking of just getting apehangers and a new seat + front spoked rim.

Debating if I should get the kick start conversion kit for it as well...the previous owner got rid of it and put an electric start on her.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,282 Likes on 5,868 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Dude back in the day what you guys now are paying big $$$$ for used to be called primer

My thoughts exactly TB. Most people think this blacked out craze if fairly new...the hotrod guys have been doing it for as long as there has been black primer...and Harley made several factory blacked out Shovels. With powdercoating, you can black out a motor that will actually look good for a few years at a fraction of the cost of chrome...a blacked out ironhead will look fine.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,052 Likes on 17,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
My thoughts exactly TB. Most people think this blacked out craze if fairly new...the hotrod guys have been doing it for as long as there has been black primer...and Harley made several factory blacked out Shovels. With powdercoating, you can black out a motor that will actually look good for a few years at a fraction of the cost of chrome...a blacked out ironhead will look fine.

I had right at $3500 in this bike including a 88" motor and a custom made Corbin seat when I built it , powder coating was still an industrial coating that hadn't become the next big craze yet .

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST

Holy crap...the only NEW Harley I ever bought was an FXS that looked exactly like this bike. Thanks for the pic. As far as blacking out the ironhead? I say don't do it.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

here's what my 71 looked like when I got done with her back in 73.

Attached Thumbnails Blacking out a 75 XLCH-dsc00268.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're asking, you'll regret it when your done

My '73

Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

1973 XL's came from the factory with a blacked out engine.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by ihb75
I am doing a restoration of the 75 xlch I just picked up a couple weeks ago.

It's all in pieces now, sanding the fenders/gas tank and frame and painting it myself. I wanted to make a bobber out of it but now I may just restore completely stock.

Lately I have been thinking of just getting apehangers and a new seat + front spoked rim.

Debating if I should get the kick start conversion kit for it as well...the previous owner got rid of it and put an electric start on her.
If it ain't got a kick it ain't an XLCH. XLCH was kick-only. Your oil bag is an electric foot XLH.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gus4440
1973 XL's came from the factory with a blacked out engine.
I believe just the jugs were black, and that did look good.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by randayn
I believe just the jugs were black, and that did look good.
Nope, the heads, cylinders, cam cover, primary cover were black. Here's a couple pics of my Dad's '73 XLH. He's on it in the first pic, right after he brought it home -used and only semi-abused, LOL! 8 over tubes on the front, stock rake. Second pic is when I had it and had put that 8-over front end on my '72 XLCH chop, found a '62 8" over front end for one of my Brother's '75 XLH, and used his stock front on the '73. Engine in the pics is stock paint. Second pic does have an orange translucent points cover, and the kick start Dad installed.

Attached Thumbnails Blacking out a 75 XLCH-73-xlh-1.jpg   Blacking out a 75 XLCH-73-xlh-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Blacking out a 75 XLCH