General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Vanson and Fox Creek

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Falz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My experience with Vanson and Fox Creek

Just wanted to report my experience with these brands. After doing some searching on the forum here I got sold on Fox Creek because of all the rave reviews given by members. Personally I was really not impressed. Also tried on a Schott and the leather seemed pretty thin.

First off the neck on the Grayson Fox Creek was chokingly small and the waist was really wide. I am in no way bodybuilder thick neck guy and I don't have skinny little waist. I'm 5'11" with a 34+ waist and weigh 185 (about average for someone my height). I dunno if a lot of the people on here are fat guys with pencil skinny necks but I felt it was an odd way to design the jacket. Secondly, and most important to me, the leather seemed very very soft and not as thick as I had read. It felt to me that it would grab on concrete more than slide in the event of a spill. But this is just my opinion. Regardless their customer service is absolutely top notch and the return process was no problem at all.

Now for the Vanson. WOW.... All I can say is these guys do not get enough love around here. I picked up the Model A in competition weight. This jacket is f***ing bullet proof!! Thick as all hell! Everything about it screams quality and superb construction. The proportions are also spot on. The neck is a great fit and the waist is more tapered so you don't feel like you're wearing a big lamp shade. Each time I put it on I feel secure. I am also enjoying watching the break in process (this leather is going to take some time to break in). Breaking in this thick leather makes it very personal and unique to me, I love it. It is a more smooth surface and seems like it would slide better across concrete. Vanson is also what a lot of the guys that race wear (like Isle of Man). That tells me these guys know how to make good leather and have been doing it for a long time. Anyway I'm in love and will never buy anything but Vanson from here on out. Only downside would be the wait time for these. Great customer service but sometimes there can be quite a wait if they are out of a certain model.

Anyway just felt I should share my experience

Last edited by Falz; 03-01-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 AM
AKHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. Yep, they make good stuff. I'm fortunate enough to own a number of items made by them.

Be aware tho that some of their stuff is now made abroad and some with thinner leather.

Mark H.

Last edited by AKHD; 03-01-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree about the Vanson competition weight leather. I think it is the best out there. I am curious if your jacket label says Made in USA as I understand that most of their stuff is now made in Central America but with the same quality leather. Many of their jackets can also be had in a lighter weight leather but the competition weight leather cannot be beat. I own leather jackets by Vanson, Langlitz, Schott, Brooks and HD FXRG and I always say that if I ever go down I hope I am wearing the Vanson. You made a wise choice.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Falz
Just wanted to report my experience with these brands. After doing some searching on the forum here I got sold on Fox Creek because of all the rave reviews given by members. Personally I was really not impressed. Also tried on a Schott and the leather seemed pretty thin.
Are you sure the Schott you tried was one of their motorcycle jackets? Every new Schott I've ever seen was so thick and heavy and stiff there is no way you'd call it thin. I wear one and just checked out some others at a store a few weeks ago.

Now for the Vanson. WOW.... All I can say is these guys do not get enough love around here. I picked up the Model A in competition weight. This jacket is f***ing bullet proof!! Thick as all hell! Everything about it screams quality and superb construction. The proportions are also spot on.
You have to work for Vanson - anybody else would be mentioning that their price is awfully high for a POS imported from E Salvador or Nicaragua or wherever they make Vanson now. I also hear the quality has gone downhill. Could it be you are trying on used jackets somewhere, from back when Vanson was U.S. made and Schott made a lot more non-motorcycle jackets?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Vanson Model B (Made in the USA) that I found at a clothier who had old stock. The competition weight leather was outstanding, the best out there. The only issue was the fit, in order to fit my chest the thing had monkey arms and the waist was bigger (I'm 5'9 and 215 with a 34 inch waist). I sold the jacket (USA made Vansons fetch top dollar even used, I sold it for $10 more than I bought it for new).

I then bought this schott horsehide jacket, thin it is not:

They have the roughout on the inside and I measured the thickness and it is 4.0 oz horsehide. Been riding and wearing for about a month and it's just starting to break in a bit. I would say it's not quite as thick and stiff as Vanson, but damn close. It's also a tailored fit to my body and the best fitting jacket I've ever had (and that includes a custom jacket debacle).

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried on Vanson as well, it was a nice jacket, but the wrists are too small. Zip shut the sleeves and it was uncomfortable tight around the wrist. I didn't think my hands/wrists are that big but Vanson too small and it is the only jacket that fit me like that. I do wonder who the hand models are for glove companies are though, I need 2xl or 3xl glove size.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I will keep wearing my Langlitz.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
pip369
Road Captain

Love my Fox Creek. Super thick and soft. Did take a couple of times of back and forth to get the right size. Great customer service. Made in the USA!!!

PIP

Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Both of my Vanson's were of incredible quality and the latest was still American made. Like another poster commented, to get it to fit my chest, the sleeves and body were way to long.

The only Schott I had was a nice jacket, well made, but too soft leather and the waist was too big.

My Lost Worlds was the best. Super tough horsehide and craftsmanship unparallelled.

Too bad I out grew it. Ride with a Fox Creek and a Kerr now, both American made and got a good price used. Little too soft leather but overall good jackets.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
AKHD
Tourer

Yep, gotta agree that the wrists are kinda small.

I hope to own something from Schott someday and I really wanna try some horsehide!

Mark H.

Quick Reply: My experience with Vanson and Fox Creek