General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Vanson and Fox Creek

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Falz
Just wanted to report my experience with these brands. After doing some searching on the forum here I got sold on Fox Creek because of all the rave reviews given by members. Personally I was really not impressed. Also tried on a Schott and the leather seemed pretty thin.

First off the neck on the Grayson Fox Creek was chokingly small and the waist was really wide. I am in no way bodybuilder thick neck guy and I don't have skinny little waist. I'm 5'11" with a 34+ waist and weigh 185 (about average for someone my height). I dunno if a lot of the people on here are fat guys with pencil skinny necks but I felt it was an odd way to design the jacket. Secondly, and most important to me, the leather seemed very very soft and not as thick as I had read. It felt to me that it would grab on concrete more than slide in the event of a spill. But this is just my opinion. Regardless their customer service is absolutely top notch and the return process was no problem at all.

Now for the Vanson. WOW.... All I can say is these guys do not get enough love around here. I picked up the Model A in competition weight. This jacket is f***ing bullet proof!! Thick as all hell! Everything about it screams quality and superb construction. The proportions are also spot on. The neck is a great fit and the waist is more tapered so you don't feel like you're wearing a big lamp shade. Each time I put it on I feel secure. I am also enjoying watching the break in process (this leather is going to take some time to break in). Breaking in this thick leather makes it very personal and unique to me, I love it. It is a more smooth surface and seems like it would slide better across concrete. Vanson is also what a lot of the guys that race wear (like Isle of Man). That tells me these guys know how to make good leather and have been doing it for a long time. Anyway I'm in love and will never buy anything but Vanson from here on out. Only downside would be the wait time for these. Great customer service but sometimes there can be quite a wait if they are out of a certain model.

Anyway just felt I should share my experience
I could not agree more. I love my Vanson Highwayman jacket. I could sleep in it. I ordered a Langlitz and sent it back because I just didn't see that for over double the cost that it was any better than my Vanson. My Highwayman fits perfect, is very thick, and will last a life time. I want to get another, likely a Model A. Unfortunately Vanson is doing some of their work off-shore. I ordered a Model B jacket and it was made in El Salvador so I sent it back. When I find a USA made Model A in competition weight I'll buy it. I need some overpants too.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

langlitz friggin best in the world, i have there goatskin and its 6 yrs old and still looks new, i have peoplel constantly say how nice and where did i get it, and talk about heavy

Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Picked up a set of saddlebags and fork bag from Fox Creek. Nice saddlebags and weatherproof. The fork bag I wasnt impressed with, wasnt weatherproof. Leather jacket is a Perfecto by Schott I've had since the 70's and still an excellent jacket. My input about jackets would be try it on before you buy, every last one of them has a different fit.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Vanson jacket (cordura), I am hard to fit so I had to have one custom made, the jacket is a perfect fit.....that said I hate Vanson...they are the worst company I have ever, ever, ever dealt with...first they said the jacket would be 3 months, so I called them after 2 1/2 months and they told me the order was lost and I would have to start the process over (no apology..didn't even act as if they cared)...then they didn't like my measurements (but didn't bother to call me and tell me the order was held up) ....to make a long story short, ordered a custom made summer jacket 1st of march and got it in sept....If I could have ordered a custom made cordura jacket anywhere else I would have, and I think they knew I could not go anywhere else and treated me like it... their products are good but there service sucks...what bothered me the most is that they act like they really don't care about you at all....

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

I stopped by the Fox Creek store up in VA. I tryed on one 50L jacket and it was too big in the waste. Tried on another 50L and it fit perfect. I think it's the Grayson model. Only thing I don't like is the extended kidney pad in back. I mentioned that I heard about them on the HD Forum and I got $50 off!