General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Ironhead- New level of therapy(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
JPL17
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Ironhead- New level of therapy(pics)

I have to admit it. As much as I have been enjoying my riding during the past few years, I still craved the sound and feel of an Ironhead. I finally found one that was to my liking. I don't have the time for a "project" but I can wrench when I need to. That being said, for the past year I told myself, if I find one I like, I'm gonna jump on it. I can keep it running and do the basics but I knew if I picked up a project--that project would still be a project 5 years from now. I know some will understand and some will call me a poser because I didn't do it myself but here she is. I love her and like Huey Lewis said- "I need a new drug"- I found mine.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Very nice bike.

And I totally respect your position about getting one that is ready to go and just worrying about keeping it maintained. I have a family with two additions in the last three years. Just keeping my modern day v-twin maintained, not to mention all the mods I want to do are enough to take up all the time I want to spare to wrenching and still be able to actually ride.

Hope everything works out.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM
JPL17
Cruiser

Thanks Skeez. Thats it--between the kids, the wife and work, there is no time for a project. As much as I love spending time in the garage working on the bikes-I have to be able to ride and hear that engine or it's just not enough. Ride safe.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Very nice!

I understand all about the "not wanting a project bike for 5 years..."
Time limitations, money constraints, higher priorities of whatever kind. Hey, at least you found yours, and the changes can evolve over time as you can manage, and still ride that '79 in the meantime. CongraTulations!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice ride. And, understandable as to why you wouldn't get a project bike. I know I wouldn't have the time for a project bike.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:30 PM
CB1
Tourer

Pffft, poser. Just kidding, that is a sweet looking bike. I'd love to do a project, but my attention span might be an issue as well as funds. I get away with spending money on my bike because she loves to ride on it, but I don't think mama would respond to well with something I had to spend money on to get running especially if it had a solo seat.

Post some action pics when you get out on it. Bet that paint looks even better in natural light!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like someone put together a really nice bike. Congratulations!

My personal taste would be change the back fender, and pipes, and run a peanut tank. I just never liked Sportsters trying to look like an FL. I like them to look more like a sporty bike, but that's just my views.

Or you can make any changes you want to personalize it to your liking without having the bike down.

Nothing wrong with a turn key bike. Ride the wheels off it and enjoy it!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
BIACKBENZ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably saved a ton of money as well as time. And that is a great bike.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great bike, but an iron head or shovel should take years of your life, tens of thousands of dollars, and cursing, possibly a divorce before you can fire it up.

Seriously though I'm looking into a project shovel right now, willing to spend $3000 to get started.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice bike but it looks like a combination of things. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: 79 Ironhead- New level of therapy(pics)