Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laconia! Advice wanted. Anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
cajzmere
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laconia! Advice wanted. Anyone going?

Trying to plan my 1st trip to Laconia. Figured there would be some experienced people here. Wondering if any have advice on where to stay, campgrounds or motels(no condos, I'm cheap). Is 1st weekend better or last weekend, planning on 3 nights there. Any attractions that are must see?(besides Mt. Washington and the bikinis. so only a 7 hour trip for me. Anyone else going?

Last edited by cajzmere; 04-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Mt. Washington-Kankamangus Highway-White Mtns National forest. Good day long ride.

Yankee Smoke House for beers.

Last year we rented a 3 bedroom house in N. Conway for $1200.00 for the week. While that may sound expensive, we ate there, slept there, drank there, hot tubbed there, and it was fairly close to everything. Split 3 ways for 7 days was pretty cheap.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

If your cheap you will be stuck camping, they jack the rates up at all the local hotels and motels during bike week. I used to be able to get a room at the Naswa for under $100, last year they quoted me $250 a night for one of their small rooms with a 3 night minimum.
If you watch craiglist you might be able to find a decent deal on a private rental.
A couple of years back I got a condo for 5 nights for $600, that's about the best that you can do on a rental.
Been going since the 70's, and it used to be a real blast, lately, not so much.
It's more like a carnival now, all about making a buck. Crappy food and expensive beers.
I used to like the old days, when there would be parties all along the sides of the road all the way into the weirs,endless burnouts, titty shows, kegs in the back of trucks parked on the side of the road. Cops didn't bother trying to break it up either.
Last time I was there for 5 days, I think I heard 2 burnouts, and those guys got arrested. Saw a state cop yelling at a guy for flicking a cigarette butt into the gutter!
It's surely not like the old days, kind of lost it's luster when they stopped burning cars in parking lots, and blocking off the road for burnout contests. Now, it's a kiddy carnival
compared to back then.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

We are talking about going hubby loves the wht mts and we have both ridden there many a time. If we go we will camp at pine hallow (I think that is the camp ground)

Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Take plenty of rain gear...as it always rains there during Bike Week. They really need to move the event to later in June...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Mark Jags
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I was there in 09 I camped at the Gunstock Recreation area. It's about 10 or 15 minutes from the Weirs. Inexpensive, nice camping facilites and if you want to watch the Hill Climbs, it's right there, though you have to pay extra for that.
A few times I stayed at the Belknap Point Motel. I would get one of their efficiency units right on Lake Winnie and the views were awesome. Nice and quite too but only a few miles from the Weirs. The only bad part about staying there is they make you book for the week.
Kankamungus Highway is a must and it's also cool to ride to the coast at Hampton Beach.
Loke the other guy said, it's not a real wild rally, but if you're looking to do some great riding, and hang out with the pirates at the Weirs, it's not a bad trip from Rochester.
The last weekend is the best weekend to go.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragtop
If your cheap you will be stuck camping, they jack the rates up at all the local hotels and motels during bike week. I used to be able to get a room at the Naswa for under $100, last year they quoted me $250 a night for one of their small rooms with a 3 night minimum.
If you watch craiglist you might be able to find a decent deal on a private rental.
A couple of years back I got a condo for 5 nights for $600, that's about the best that you can do on a rental.
Been going since the 70's, and it used to be a real blast, lately, not so much.
It's more like a carnival now, all about making a buck. Crappy food and expensive beers.
I used to like the old days, when there would be parties all along the sides of the road all the way into the weirs,endless burnouts, titty shows, kegs in the back of trucks parked on the side of the road. Cops didn't bother trying to break it up either.
Last time I was there for 5 days, I think I heard 2 burnouts, and those guys got arrested. Saw a state cop yelling at a guy for flicking a cigarette butt into the gutter!
It's surely not like the old days, kind of lost it's luster when they stopped burning cars in parking lots, and blocking off the road for burnout contests. Now, it's a kiddy carnival
compared to back then.
That seems to be the way of all the major rallies, I still go to sturgis, but that is more about the friends i meet up with there each year, the rides in the hills, and only make it into town 1 or maybe 2 times. I have to admit that it disgusts me that all it takes to stop traffic in sturgis these days is one girl walking down the street in chaps and a thong, that used to be standard ralley wear for chicks.

I have found that the smaller (10,000 bikes and under) "local" rallies are a lot more fun, things like the SCVR chilli feed(3 days of mega fun), the 3 conesville rallies, and from what i hear Algona is still good. but these are not riding rallies, these are basically big motorcycle parties on private land, svrc is on 10 acres, and conesville is held on 80 acres i believe. The police dont come in, they just sit outside to bust drunks leaving at all hours of the night, other then that the only rules are no fires, no guns, and no harm = no foul.

They are alot of fun, so i would suggest finding some of the small ones to go to if you just want to have a good weekend out.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 AM
caaraa
Banned

Mt. Washington-Kankamangus Highway-White Mtns National forest. Good day long ride.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 AM
BobbyD
Road Warrior

We stayed in Tilton last year at a Holiday Inn right off of the highway. A nice easy ride of about 15 minutes or so right to the action. Like others have said, Kankamangus and White Mountains are great. But yes, bring the rain gear, you will get rained on. We normally go on Wednesday and stay through Saturday morning and then beat the crowd out of town.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Whatever you do, make sure you have rain gear and if your camping, something to keep your Azz off the ground. Always rains during Laconia....Great riding in the White Mountains though. Beautiful and your sure to get a dry day or two!

Quick Reply: Laconia! Advice wanted. Anyone going?