Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laconia! Advice wanted. Anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
cajzmere
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies...sad to hear rallies gettting watered down, but still think it will be fun. Appreciate all the tips! Gunstock looks good to me for camping...I have a real good tent, and always take rain gear.(I live in Rochester remember) Thanks again. Hurry up spring!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm going up the first Sunday and leaving thursday. We're booked somewhere in Tilton I believe. Always rains, I haven't gone the last few years because of that. If the weathers's nice I'm gonna leave saturday and take a nice up into Vermont and stay the night there and shoot over to Laconia on Sunday.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default only sheep go to NH

You people are crazy if you go there after this....

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/2...cle-noise-law/

If there was a complete No-Show in Laconia maybe they would think twice in the legislature.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I can tell you that whatever bill they passed they wont be ticketing you unless you draw attention to yourself in the first place. I have spoken to many state troopers up there over the years. The # 1 main concern is to keep thing moving and without major pileups of traffic and or jerks acting up. Just sit in traffic and rev that bike up nice and loud, they will ticket u for sure. I have been going up there for years and this is the norm. Maybe after the rally the cops will do more of the loud pipe checks but during the rally I cant see them pulling that many people over. I think they would run out of paper of have severe writers cramp. Besides the courts would be so overwhelmed they would implode. Other than that Laconia has great riding roads. Gunstock Hillclimb on Wed is always fun to watch. Rain and Laconia go hand & hand, makes you more "seasoned" like a good frying pan.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I find it odd that nobody even talks about the races going on at the speedway.
That was the reason I used to go, seems like nobody cares about or even goes to the track events anymore. You can still camp at the racetrack, and camping includes a weekend grandstand and infield access pass for one person. Some of the best parties used to be out back of the raceway in the camping area. How about the hillclimbs, does anyway go to them anymore?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been to the hillclimb in Gunstock 2 years ago. It's not fun anymore, more like a real competiton, with dirt bikes and 2 wheelers. The prices are outrageous (I think I dished out something like $40 for the OL and me, just to get in the door), and the competiton itself is slow as hell. Weirs was a giant t-shirt stand, kids running around every friggin where, traffic was horrible, and so on. I haven't been last year, and I don't plan on going this year either. Poserweek and family event at its best, it has nothing to do with bike week anymore.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

The house passed it, but it's not law. They have a long road to make it law.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

camping doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me

what do you need besides a dry place to sleep a shower and a place to s@#t

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Miserable weather, I will never go there again!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
Been to the hillclimb in Gunstock 2 years ago. It's not fun anymore, more like a real competiton, with dirt bikes and 2 wheelers. The prices are outrageous (I think I dished out something like $40 for the OL and me, just to get in the door), and the competiton itself is slow as hell. Weirs was a giant t-shirt stand, kids running around every friggin where, traffic was horrible, and so on. I haven't been last year, and I don't plan on going this year either. Poserweek and family event at its best, it has nothing to do with bike week anymore.
That pretty much sums it up! I saw quite a few young couples with baby carriages, WTF is wrong with these people? Baby carriage right next to all the people revving their pipes, stupid if you ask me.
Yes, it's much more of a family carnival now, if you took away all the T-shirt vendors and food stalls, there wouldn't be much left to see.
There are a few good bike shows that week, and you can still find some decent parts vendors, but most if it it junk.
The Broken Spoke was a decent place to hang out, at least you can take your beer outside and watch the bikes go by.
And yes, it always rains for bike week!

Quick Reply: Laconia! Advice wanted. Anyone going?