General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Another +1 for Arai.

I was sad to see they discontinued the Profile, which is what I have in a FF. Luckily for us with a "long oval" nugget the Signet-Q is the replacement for the Profile. Proper fit is crucial, as others have noted. My Arai is very quiet and well ventilated, but still fogs up at slow speed when its cold and/or wet...so do my foam lined glasses/goggles that I payed +$100 for to wear with the half.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 03-07-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a Shoie Qwest cause of the riding position.
My buddies all has the shoei Muti Tech. and my OL wants a Shoei Multi Tech.

What you want in a full face helmet is Air flow. And to be able to crack the helmet with its cold and keep it from foggin up a little.

If its warm outside I ride with the clear face shield up. I want a mirrowed face shield oh.
And a carry case for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl3HKUTpXwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUbUk5kKa8M

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,117 Posts

HJC CL-15/16 past 6 yrs IMHO good helmet for the $$
W/helmets ya get what ya pay for. Cheap is usually just that chee ps..t

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
HJC CL-15/16 past 6 yrs IMHO good helmet for the $$
W/helmets ya get what ya pay for. Cheap is usually just that chee ps..t
Yep. In accident reconstruction we call 'em "cheap Chinese soup buckets". What's your head worth?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by wwNightster
This is from the UK government. Europeans take motorcycle safety a lot more seriously than Americans. The SHARP Test is a better gauage of safety than Snell. You can find SHARP reviews at: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Coincidentally, Shoei has the highest rated line of models. I have the Qwest and it is a fantastic helmet.

No Europe is just more of a nanny state.

What the percentage of DOT approved helmets failing meaningful parts of the SHARP test?

At some point a crash becomes something that is not survivable regardless of the test. I am wondering if a helmet passes some BS test but the reality of the real world accident is you'd not survive the accident anyhow.

In other words a helmet does at some point become something that just contains your head and provides no protection against your brain slamming in to your forehead.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
No Europe is just more of a nanny state.

What the percentage of DOT approved helmets failing meaningful parts of the SHARP test?

At some point a crash becomes something that is not survivable regardless of the test. I am wondering if a helmet passes some BS test but the reality of the real world accident is you'd not survive the accident anyhow.

In other words a helmet does at some point become something that just contains your head and provides no protection against your brain slamming in to your forehead.
The reason for wearing a helmet isn't a matter of living or dying, it's a matter of not living as a vegetable if you do survive.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
The reason for wearing a helmet isn't a matter of living or dying, it's a matter of not living as a vegetable if you do survive.

I wasn't talking about that. My point is regarding whether or not Snell or SHARP or what they use in Asia really means that much. As in if a top tier helmet manufacturer passed the tests and was approved by DOT but didn't pass SHARP does that mean the helmet isn't as good.

At some point it doesn't matter how good the helmet is you are going to die regardless. So does SHARP really mean anything as the person I was asking the question of was insinuating.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the fit and quality of an Arai. I have owned several. For some they may be out of their price range but my head is worth it to me.