General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
For you maybe. My vote is for Arai or Shoei
+1

Both are excellent and proven manufacturers!

I'm sure other manufacturers might be good, but for my dollar and my protection, no other will do.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ockam
Any non-modular, Snell + Dot
Originally Posted by Minnesota FXDF
DOT + Snell and you are good.
You guys ever read the June 05 Motorcyclist article called "Blowing The Lid Off"
It makes you think twice about Snell.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARAI is my choice.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

+1 to Arai.

I've had cheaper HJC and Scorpions in the past, and my new Signet-Q (the ONLY helmet - as far as I know - built for "long-oval" domes like my alien head) is far and away a higher quality product.

And as to the importance of "fit," let me put it this way... I wore an XL in HJC and Scorpion, just to get them around my noggin. An Arai salesman at the recent international motorcycle show measured my head and was like, "Dude, you're a MEDIUM." Darned if he wasn't right, too. Now I wear a Medium Arai, with much less air blowin' up in there...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
For you maybe. My vote is for Arai or Shoei
Ever try on a Simpson Bandit?
I sure hope you have after your response. A little pricey when they start at $400.00 and up, but worth every cent in you are doing a long ride. It'll be the best fitting helmet you ever sank your face in to, light as a feather, and aero up to any speed, period.
The OP also said the "safest", it's usually between three makes, Simpson is the dominant, Bell and Impact. If it's pure safety, it usually ends with those three.

Last edited by George C; 02-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the Bell RS-1. Comparable to the Arai RX and Shoei X-?. About $200 less than both of those, though. I love it!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Non11
I'm looking into purchasing a FF helmet for my commuting during morning and afternoon heavy traffic times. In the past I've worn a half lid, but with more and more people on the road and less attention being paid I'd like to go FF.

I've done a lot of forum searching and found many helmet threads, most deal with a specific model or feature, or degrade into the helmet/no helmet argument.

I'm looking for input on the safest helmets on the market. I've seen a few posts that had links to or information about testing results on multiple brands of helmet, but can't locate them myself.

What are the safest FF helmets that are out on the market?
Check out www.webbikeworld.com They have a ton of info on helmets. Look for Snell M2010 (not M2005) or ECE 22.05 certified. Also try on lots of different helmets. You want a snug, tight fit, it will loosen up over time. Fit varies with head shape not just size and some helmet brands/models fit different head shapes better than others. For instance Shoei & HJC are excellent if you have a rounder head but not so good if you have a long narrow head. Shark and Scorpion fit narrower heads better. Aria make different models to fit different head shapes. Venting is very important to comfort and also related to price, as a rule of thumb <$200 helmets don't vent well although are just as safe as more expensive helmets.

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...id-Helmet.aspx
Dot & Snell. Too bad these went back up in price I got mine for like $65 bucks. Great Helmet. I get no fog, fits well, etc. Hard to beat for the price. Plus you can buy night time visors for it.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they are DOT and Snell Certified, the ratings are then pretty much the same from helmet to Helmet.

What you are then paying for is Comfort, ease of use, colors and graphics, cooling ability, air flow, noise reduction and so on

Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Pick up a bottle of anti fog spray for the visor too if you are going to drive in the rain or cold. There is no such thing as a truly fog free visor unless it is PinLock or similar dual pane design.

Quick Reply: Safest Helmets?