General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Just received my new Shoei NeoTec in the mail yesterday. Have not had a chance to use it yet but it LOOKS and FEELS GREAT and really fits my watermelon head. A huge improvement over the MultiTech.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently picked up an HJC FF helmet from Dennis Kirk at 66% off. It is DOT and Snell rated. So far it is super comfortable and reasonably priced. But you need to the the safety ratings.

This is good advice; "DOT + Snell and you are good. I would concentrate on the fit, that is the real key."

Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Like location in real estate it's fit, fit, fit. I have half a dozen helmets in the closet and which brand means nothing. Any high end lid that fits is all you need. When you get under a price point of say, $200-250 The shell itself may offer the protection needed but you will find that the strap will wear faster or the padding is not adjustable and the foam breaks down.

A lot of this also depends on how much riding you do. If you ride 2,000 miles a year any FF helmet that fits will do. At 10,000 miles a year, look to Arai, Shoei or other $400 plus brands.

BTW never, ever use those quick connect things on the strap. In my other life I've seen FF helmets fly off and found the brain 50 yards down the highway from the head. And yeah, yeah, I know lots of guys that have success storys. It all depends on how many body bags you have filled. Just say'in.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
giovanni s
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Bell, daytona or M1 in consideration of the budget...btw take a look of the Sharp Test

Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Arai makes light well vented helmets. When I owned full faces it Arai all the way.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Tilter
Tourer

Originally Posted by wwNightster
This is from the UK government. Europeans take motorcycle safety a lot more seriously than Americans. The SHARP Test is a better gauage of safety than Snell. You can find SHARP reviews at: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Coincidentally, Shoei has the highest rated line of models. I have the Qwest and it is a fantastic helmet.
Agree completely. Also the bell rs-1 is a terrific helmet for a great price. If you have a large budget though check out schuberth.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another vote for Arai here, I rock the Arai profile. Shoei and Simpson are also in the same category. Having ridden mx my whole life, I've hit the ground very hard numerous times (even tore the whole "full face" portion off an HJC once) and the Arai (I've owned numerous Arai dirt helmets) held up the best and left me with not even a headache.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
streetbobkid
Road Captain

Bell rs-1 or star are great helmets if they fit your head. I really like the way a Shoei rf1100 feels as well. Try them on for a while each, try to find someone who knows what they are talking about to help you fit your new helmet

Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out webbikeworld. They buy and test realworld stuff, give you the lowdown on bike gear without spin from a manufacturer, and comments from owners of the gear as well. Most full face helmets are probably of good quality and safe, as long as they are properly fitted, worn correctly, taken care of and replaced when the reach the end of service life. On line helmets are lower priced but sometimes you get a helmet that has set on the shelf for 4 years, it isn't the same as a new helmet, according to experts (FWIW). I got a new Shoei RF1000 when the Snell 2010 change hit, good price but it was only 8 months newer then the one I was wearing to begin with.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Any full faced helmet is going to be safer than the 1/2 lid you have been wearing.
So no matter what you end up with, you're already steps ahead...

Quick Reply: Safest Helmets?