General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shards of metal in primary

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012 | 04:19 PM
grumpy 1962
|
Advanced
Default shards of metal in primary

hi, change my oil's yesterday.
found three 3/8 by 1/32 pieces of steel on the magnetic sump plug of the primary.
look's to me as if they may have come from the teeth of the clutch basket.
the only thing i can think of, is when i was riding a few day's ago, i changed down from 3rd to 2nd, heard a crunch, i thought i had a miss shift. a little lazy with the clutch.
i took the bike out for a ride after the oil change, then came home drained the primary again, there was nothing on the magnetic plug.
there is no grinding or any other odd sound's coming from the primary.
i'm thinking this metal may have come from the primary chain adjuster also?
stater motor gear teeth?
i'm tempted to leave it and check the primary sump plug on the next oil change.
these shard's, are very thin and look uniform in size.
thought's and opinion's???
2011 fxdc, with around , 6,000 mile's on the clock, primary oil, is change very regularly. formula +.
grumpy.

Old 02-26-2012 | 04:30 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

I see this frequently when I change my oil, too. Hell if I know what it is but it hasn't caused a problem yet.

Old 02-26-2012 | 05:15 PM
grumpy 1962
|
Advanced

just to clarify.
that's 3/8's long, iam say 1/32 thick, slither's. to me it look's like the starter motor gear has hit the rear teeth of the clutch basket in a very harsh manner, at one time or another.
i can see, iam going to have to remove the outer primary and investigate for peace of mind.
but, i'm open to opinion's and suggestion's. i hate pulling thing's apart to find it is normal wear and tear.
grumpy.

Old 02-26-2012 | 05:19 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Those are a lot larger than I would ever want to see on my plug. I would definitely pull it apart and take a look.

Old 02-26-2012 | 05:30 PM
6speed51
Road Captain

I got a great idea,why not take it to the dealer,it's a 2011,should be under warrenty.

Old 02-26-2012 | 05:42 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Ah, completely overlooked the measurements. Yes, definitely take that in.

Old 02-26-2012 | 05:45 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member

It's just de-burring itself...........Well at least you know the magnetic plug is doing its job.

Old 02-26-2012 | 07:15 PM
tallboy56
Road Master

I found a couple of the same kind of chunks on my drain plug the first time I changed the primary oil. I was a little concerned but I'm approaching 30K miles and no problems have occurred. There have been no additional pieces on the plug either. The chunk looked like a piece of a chain sidebar to me. I got extra warranty when I bought so I'm just lettin' her go.

Old 02-26-2012 | 07:21 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grumpy 1962
just to clarify.
that's 3/8's long, iam say 1/32 thick, slither's. to me it look's like the starter motor gear has hit the rear teeth of the clutch basket in a very harsh manner, at one time or another.
i can see, iam going to have to remove the outer primary and investigate for peace of mind.
but, i'm open to opinion's and suggestion's. i hate pulling thing's apart to find it is normal wear and tear.
grumpy.
Pull off the primary cover! I am going to pull mine off just to satisfy myself that all is well before I ride it a thousand miles to BikeWeek. I am going to check every nut that I can find while I am at it.

Old 02-29-2012 | 09:15 PM
grumpy 1962
|
Advanced

shard's of metal are from the ring gear.
spoke /showed my indy, he said perfectly normal, he had seen some magnetic primary sump plug's with a minature christmas tree of shard's of metal.
so, relived now.
grumpy.

Quick Reply: shards of metal in primary