General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

map question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

"Why is it most call their GPS , " Lying Bitch " then ? Most common reference I've heard about them .

OP I've traveled the whole US , part of Canada and Europe on a bike with the good old fashion Rand McNally road atlas . No one map is going to give the the goat trails too , to get that fine you'll need individual state editions . Be warned when you get that detailed what may be referenced as " Unimproved " can be two dirt ruts through the woods , been there before so heads up even with the GPS gizmo's also .

The book map won't break when it gets dropped or wet , you never have to hunt for the reset button and nobody will break into your stuff trying to steal it . "

Good post. I Fully Agree. I've been led by the nice lady 10 miles down a rough two-track only to be bid to turn right on a power line right of way going streight up the side of an Arkansas mountain. She dumped me off of the freeway in downtown Shreveport in rush hour. She put me on 100 miles of accordian bellows asphalt in Oklahoma and 75 miles of it in California. She used up 3/4 of my last gallon of gas on a side trip to a remote gas station that was closed. If you like these sorts of "Adventure", trust Garmin to take you there. Me, I now Carry and Use a map.

GPS is a geat tool in conjunction with a good map, good judgement, and local input. But you cannot trust Garmin alone, she must be supervised.

Last edited by Fireax; 02-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.