General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

map question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just grab a bunch of maps and drive, drive the roads and get lost makes for a better trip and when you feel like finding something pull out the map and take a look, you want some back roads find them yourself!!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

GPS with good mapping software to plan your route in advance and load into the GPS as a route to follow. Takes a little time to set up, but the GPS will follow the route and roads, you set up on the computer.

Used this method on an out west trip from SE Mich, to Colorado, up thru the Tetons, Yellowstone, and then to the black hills.

You can send for tourist info by hitting the states tourism website. They will send you a package in the mail so you can see what they have to offer and plan accordingly. I have done this with every state I have planned to visit, or ride thru Then use the info to plan my route.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just bought a tomtom, great unit, but, like some, gets confused, says you're going south when you're going north. Power down and back up, all is good. Drove the boonies in kentucky last Christmas and had no issues. I vote for GPS.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Danny M Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traveling

If you need to spend a night in north central Arkansas email me at soup8607@gmail.com

Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My own choice is GPS, a road atlas, AAA street maps, and US Forestry Service maps of the wilderness areas I ride.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cou9ar
so I am planning on spending my 3 weeks vacation this year on my bike traveling from Oregon to the southeast (Texas/Georgia) I am looking for a map that will show ALL roads, even the little gravel kind (I hope those are marked) Any suggestions on which one is the best?
Do you really want to take a Harley on "... the little gravel kind..."? Be careful. I just have a Sporty, ride Forest Service roads a good bit and have occasionaly gotten off on Timber Company roads (got some bad advice from a GPS). Had some "Interesting" experiences. Once got stopped by a deep rut on a two-track that was climbing a steep hill. NO room to turn around, too rough and far to back down, had to lay my bike down, pull the rear wheel around 180 degrees, and then stand it back up to get turned around. Glad I wasn't on a bagger. Several more bad experiences, I am now a great deal more cautious about exploring unfamiliar territory on dirt roads.

USGS Topographic Maps, also known as 7.5 Minute Quadrangles, will give you the detail you are looking for, but you will have to carry a LOT of them if you want them for the whole trip. If you just want a few for "Areas of Interest" they are manageable. Forest Service also issues Topo's by USFS Management Area that are very detailed. But none of them show recent erosion, fallen logs, sharp rocks, and other hazards that are especially prevalent on the "little gravel kind" of road. I would advise, State Maps show sufficient detail for a Street Bike, and you probably dont want to ride cross country on a Dual Sport. Been there, Done that, aint gonna again.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
BIACKBENZ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Trip from Milwaukee to Las Vegas to LA, San Fran, CodyWY and home I found the Touring handbook to be all I needed. Friend's GPS gave us the same info. But! I learned that a dotted line is a road to avoid. Hwy 126 out of Los Alamos NM to Cuba looked like a great road. Next time I see a sign that the road is only open certain months I will backtrack no matter how far. The 2010 Touring Handbook shows this part of the road as a dotted line. Might have bee OK for a dirt bike or ATV. Outright dangerous for a Road Glide! Could not turn around, sharp rocks, washed out areas, deep ruts. Also, every state has a welcome rest stop on major roads and every one of them had free state maps.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 AM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a series of maps made by UniversalMap, one word, that are less than full state maps and have detail level down to county roads. I don't think they are available for all states though. For example they have three maps for Indiana, Southern, Central and Northern. They also do not show gravel vs paved roads so its the luck of the draw.

Universal is part of the Kappa Map Group and they are online.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What are you all doing to ensure enough gas along the way?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Delorme makes a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for each state, while I know this may not make sense but it shows very detailed road info that will help with each state. That being said google maps or Google Earth show very detailed info as well... GPS may not show whether the road is dirt or paved but I have not checked out the new models.

Quick Reply: map question