General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping to Help a Fellow Biker...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard a white bandana/rag tied to the left side mirror/grip was an indication that help was needed.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rcc
The helmet on the ground behind the rear tire is an indicator that they need help.

Ron
I have also understood this as a sign of help being needed.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
619bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up or down, always been a quick indicator whether you got two or four wheels.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Another widely-used "I need help" signal is tying a bandana around the grip or mirror stem on the side of the bike nearest the road...

Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

I never stop to help bikers, they might be crooks

Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will always stop, the make doesn't matter. Just wanna make sure they're ok.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I usually stop to help bikers on the side of the road. Nearly every time I did was welcomed.
However there was this ONE *****. Here's how it went.
My wife and I were riding our Gold Wing trike a few years ago along Florida's A1A on a barrier island. We were about a 1/4 mile behind this 30 year old Honda that just picked up a nail that flatten it's rear tire.

We saw this happen, so we pulled up behind the rider and his girl friend. Mind you we were in a deserted area, nearest service station about 15 miles up the road. Temperature in the upper 90's.

I asked if we can be of help, the rider spoke up with attitude, "I got a flat, there's nothing you can do". I told him I can be of help, his GF agreed. This bike was at least 30 years old with 30 year old tires on it I would guess.

As I was getting out my tire plug kit, my wife was getting out ice cold sodas out of the cooler for the two of them. The GF was very appreciative, the ***** had an attitude as if he was today's version of a Wall St. Occupier and I was the 1%er.

I learned he just bought this pos for his 1st bike on his 1st ride with his GF. I got the tire plugged, then ***** says, "bet you forgot it takes air to fill up a flat tire". I wondered if I should have back handed him at this time, but decided his GF might get the blunt of it later.

I showed the ***** that I had CO2 cylinders that I gotten back before he was ever born. As I was about to insert the coupling between the CO2 and the valve stem, I noticed there wasn't enough clearance to work the coupling in. The ***** started laughing and said, "bet you didn't think of that Mc Guyver".

I gave him my Drill Sergeant stare I had. Went back into my tool bag and pulled out my 45 degree screw on valve stem I carry. ***** was disappointed yet his GF was finally thinking what she was doing with such a zero and said so to my wife.

I got enough air to get them to the service station up the road. We followed them to the service station only because of his GF. We got there in front of a pay for air pump. ***** has no money for air! Can you believe this?
I paid for the air and got them on the way. The GF was very thankful to the both of us, the ***** didn't say a word. No gratitude what so ever.

If I had belted him, it would have looked like child abuse. If I wasn't married I would have taken his GF away with me. She had that look that she would have dropped him like a bad habit and rode bitch with me.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 PM

^^^ That is an awesome story... even though the event in itself... was terrible.

You were a better man..... you knew it..... he knew it.... and his girlfriend knew it.

You're a better man than me too.... as soon as the "McGuyver" comment came out of his face... I would have packed up my things and left him stranded.... after I offered his gf a ride for help of course. This is also assuming I didn't lay him flat right then and there.

You were on a trike right? I bet the 3 of you would have fit for a few miles

My wife, being the **** feminist she is.... would have insisted we take the girl with us - LOL

Still..... good on you for handling it the right way.

Last edited by ninefourteener; 02-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I always stop to ask. I would have left that ungrateful douche bag on the side of the road and had given his gf a lift. Helping that guy may have been the good thing to do but my good will has it's limits.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny how times have changed your right years ago most bikers stopped to help or at least ask,not any more.Very sad but it is a whole different world don't see it getting any better.

Quick Reply: Stopping to Help a Fellow Biker...