General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012 | 08:10 AM
bikenut1957
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
Depends on what the "mods" were, when they were done (at initial purchase) and the dealer.
He is lucky that they didn't determine that the mods caused the problem, that could put the total cost on him.
Like I stated above all mods where done by H-D, they didn't effect his warranty. The mods were not the cause of the problem as far as I understand. Though now I know it was a cam upgrade.

Old 02-22-2012 | 08:13 AM
bikenut1957
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
I think if he handed them a 103" engine with modifications, that's what they ought to give back to him.
I agree 100%.

Old 02-22-2012 | 08:20 AM
aces25
Road Master

He should have a good case to have the same mods installed into the new motor. I'm not sure how the warranty is written up with the dealer-installed mods, but hopefully they'll stand by your friend and make it right.

Old 02-22-2012 | 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

7500 miles on my 103 and not a single issue. Glad to see that they are going to make it right.

Old 02-22-2012 | 08:33 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain

42k on my my 103 sleeper kit on my 08 SG and 22k on my 2010 Ultra limited with the 103. But I can say that I've seen a 2010 SG's 103 motor start having issues after 13k on my buddies bike. And Harley gave him a deal on a 2011 SG because they could not resolve the motor issues. Sometimes there is a lemon on the showroom floor.

Old 02-22-2012 | 10:57 AM
12limited
Tourer
Default here is what happen to me...

Same thing happened to me.
My first HD...purchased new Aug 27 2011.

1000 mile service I told them it seemed that it was ticking or rattling. They said " turn your radio up" Get louder pipes" or "get you a 3/4 or full face helment,they all do that." I had Amsoil Sync oil put in at the 1000 mile service.

OK...It has a warranty...I am gonna run it. I been around a lot of engines big and small, I did not think this sounded right to me.

I also noticed a lot of heat on the right side, so bad I had to put my feet on the highway pegs cause it felt like it was burning me through the leather chaps. I kinda think now this may be normal with the cats in the header. All my other bikes were water cooled...

No Mods to the engine...only chrome front end, back rest, and shorter windshield.

2 months later 5100 miles, it sounded like a diesel. The wife could hear it from the passenger seat and was getting worried it was not gonna get us back home. Like I was burning cheap gas or the vavles were floating just about constant.
I did the 5000 mile service...the oil looked like it came from a diesel...black, black as soot. No metal on the oil drain plug magnet.
Pretty discusted at this point with a new bike...

Oct 21 got an appointment with the selling dealer. They rode it about 30 minutes and asked if I had been doing burnouts or drag racing. NO...just riding the hell out of it and keeping it on the road. They said I had to have a new engine.

They tore it down...said the engine looked like it had 50,000 miles on it, the insides were all brown or black. Cabon on the piston tops, burnt valves, piston pins holes in the rod ends were egg shaped. They asked if I ever left it idling for a long period of time. NO...I even shut it off if it is more than a red light in constructions areas where you have to stop and wait.

8 days from the time I drove it into thier shop, I got the bike back with 5440 miles on it and a brand new engine with the correct VIN numbers on it just like the orginal. They arranged to get the cats cut out of the stock header while they had it. This cost me a little but it was worth it.

New engine has been fine, better exhaust note, NO heat, maybe a little better throttle response. No problems at all.

I could not ask for better service from the dealer...they did a wonderful job very quickly.

Moco sent me an email asking about what kind of riding I do, what type and brand of fuel I use. On the road I burnt every brand known to man...always the highest octane. What speeds and RPM did I run the bike and what gear. What kind of oil did I use. A slew of questions and never heard a reason why this happened to this engine.

I have owned serveral touring bikes in the past, but got really disgusted with the availble service on the road with the "Other" brands. Need a tire on the road...good luck. With the economic times we live in, a lot of dealers are closing down for good, makin it even worse.

One of the main reasons I bought this my first HD was due to the service network availible. I just never dreamed I would need it so soon.

The bike has around 9400 miles on it and soon will be ready for the 10 K service.

Old 02-22-2012 | 12:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Heat on all the new ones are worse that the Pre CATS.....

Friend has a 103 in his new trike. he claims he has a ticking. but now over 5k its not any worse. Also heat from CAT.
His is 100% stock, but I will add they everything and I mean everything he buys new, he can find something wrong with it.

I've listened to his motor, I don't ride others bike as he wants me to ride his, just me. but I don't hear anything other than just the usual Harley engine noise.

This is his second Harley in the last two yrs.
He had Ultra he bought new last yr and had it in the shop at least 15 times for all kinds of issue's, only thing really wrong was low tire pressure and low oil level. (it was on the lower line)
He did have a shock that was leaking air.

All the trucks he's bought new, every one of them to him, was junk.
One of the Chevys he even got the Lemon law on it and even after GM paid him for the truck He bought it back and has been driving it for 4 yrs now. NO problems now.

So Yes I do believe that any Company can and will produce at some time a car, truck, Motorcycle that's bad.

But I also believe that there are some people who would bit(h with anything U sell them.

If I had a issue with a new one I'd do just what U did, Ride the Pi$$ out of it and let the chips fall, At least the warranty covered it.

Last edited by oct1949; 02-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2012 | 12:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by bikenut1957
True. But he had some mods done to it. All work performed by H-D. His question now is "are they going to put it back to the way it was"? Or is he going to lose that money he spent on the mods?
Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
I think if he handed them a 103" engine with modifications, that's what they ought to give back to him.
Harley won't build the motor the way he moded it, That's up to the dealer.

Truth is if the MoCo knew he moded it they may even back out of replacing the motor..
Be thankful the dealer is at least taking care of him.

Most dealers will do cams and take care of any warranty work on their dime what MoCo wont...
Just don't expect another HD dealer to stand in for U if U have warranty work needed a motor thats been built.

Old 02-23-2012 | 05:22 AM
bikenut1957
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Another E-mail this morning states- New motor coming Friday..we'll see what happens next.

Old 02-27-2012 | 11:22 PM
warrconn
Road Master

The factory rebuilds all motors to factory specs. Period.