General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hugh King - Chopper King and Friends..

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hugh King - Chopper King and Friends..

your not missing a damn thing. He is the dude incharge of Biker Build-off. If you have ever seen it.

He is making money...good for him...But not off me.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an opinion on this, I don't care who does the set up for the build offs....I like to watch the build ups, thats it. don't care about the drama, or anything else, just the bike and the ideas behind th bikes.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 PM
waterman7474
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OHHHH CRAP...............now you've done it.

here's a post i started a few months ago on the same subject............it wasn't pretty!!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_878266/tm.htm

Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 AM
spence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like orivlle redinbocker the popcorn king to me.
spence

Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe a few of us, myself included, are jealous. I wish I was doing what he does..

Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I stopped watching the Biker Build shows when Jesse James, on his own show, was complaining about being hounded by fans wanting autographs. Something like: Why don't these people get a life a leave me the F*&k alone so I can live my life. I'm not into Choppers, too much $.
The one bike that really interest me is the one with no swingarm.I would love to get a close look at that one.I am not familiar with Chopper King.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:33 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: nine11c2
Doesn't anyone take offense to him calling himself "Chopper King"? He does TV on Choppers. Isn't that huge disrespect to the true icons of the industry (Indian Larry, Arlen Ness, etc)?
It’s a TV thing, nothing more, and if they don't care, why should I?
Besides last year, or the year before they had a show where 10 of them got together to make one bike.
Just getting ten of those characters to work together on one bike was fairly impressive if you ask me.
When they were finished, they all signed it and gave it to him.
giving the bike to huge king after the show was filmed is called brown nosing the boss. if they wanted to get back on tv and get exposure for their shops which add up to more money for them, it was a smart thing to do. if hugh paid anything for the parts ( doubt it tho)then i guess it was his bike anyway.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Because some of you guys seem to have a decidedly unpleasent attitude about the man. I though that maybe I was wrong and decided to doa little research on Mr. Hugh "Chopper" King.
I found thathe does ride bikes and has been fairly wellknown withinthe custom bike business for quite some time now. The"Biker Buildoff"show is actually just the latest ina line of bike orientedprojectsthat canbe traced back to the 90's when he made bike orientedvideos for magazines like Easy Rider.
I also found that I was wrong, the "title" "Chopper King" wasn't something he or the Discovery channel pulled out of thin air as hype for the Biker Buildoff shows. Chopper was actually a nickname he was given bythecustom bike builders he worked with during the making of those magazine video's years before.
If I understand it right, it wasn't intended asa title in the sense that he was "The King of Choppers".
He was just a guywho wasknown inside the community as somebody who made good videos and likedchoppers. Hence the nickname "Chopper", that his last name is King is just happenstance.
With that knowledge in handand given that the vast majority of the TV viewing public has very little knowledge aboutmotorcycle's in general and even less aboutcustom choppers. It's my belief that the psudo title "THE Chopper King" was probablysomethingsome smart azzscript writerthought was a cute play on words. So he or she stuck it in the naration scriptin an effort to make for better sounding TV. It did, and it stuck, so like it or not, the general public hassort of type cast himas "The Chopper King" instead of his true nickname of Chopper last nameKing.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:03 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GuessI should watch more TV,never heard of him.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

First, let me say "Thank God for Replay TV" I have one of the older models (that they can't make any more) that automatically skips commercials. It also has a button that allows me to instantly skip (not fast forward) to the next segment of the show. Using my replay TV, I record every episode of Biker Build Off and American Chopper. I own an Arlen Ness custom and while it is not nearly as exotic as the bike they build on TV it is very interesting to see how they design, fabricate and build a one-off bike. I canwatch the parts that I'm interested in and it takes me about 15 minutes to get through and episode.King might be the worst actor or "bad dude" impersonator I have ever seen but I do appreciate him developingand producing the show. I just make sure I don't have to watch him. As for American Chopper, if you skip the b/s parts you see some amazing bikes (or more like works of art) being created.

Quick Reply: Hugh King - Chopper King and Friends..