General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall rider needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012 | 12:32 AM
AussieLad
|
Novice
Thumbs down Tall rider needs advice

Hi guys n gals,

Greetings from Australia I'd REALLY like some advice from tall riders re purchasing seats. As I pull out my sympathy violin, let me tell you my tale

I'm 6ft 2in and ride an '08 Dyna Fat Bob with a Tallboy seat. Bike has forward controls, however HD don't make an extended forward controls kit for Fat Bobs (I'm assuming as the forks are short and steep).

The Tallboy seat lets me stretch my legs a little ... but ... in my opinion it's gigantic, ugly, takes away from the flowing contours of the bike and is better suited to touring. I'm now looking to put the Tallboy seat aside and replace it with something for around-town riding.

My general criteria is:

1) A seat that's not too high;
2) Something that lets me stretch my legs a little (I'm guessing rider position set back as far as practical);
3) Two-up seat preferred, but will definitely take an awesome solo over a mediocre two-up;
4) It's gotta look reasonably awesome

I did a bit of web searching and came across C&C Motorcycle Seats - their Fastback seat looks superb. Living in Australia it's a bit hard to gauge what's out there and it's hard to judge a seat from looking at internet photos.

Any thoughts? Brands? Models?

Chris from Canberra

Old 02-20-2012 | 03:17 AM
AussieLad
|
Novice
Thumbs up

Interesting development since I posted this ...

After almost a year of believing I couldn't get extended forward controls I stumbled across a post on here talking about Kuryakyn extension kits. Checked the website - they make one for my bike.

This info would have been very handy before I bought my Tallboy monstrosity

Old 02-20-2012 | 04:45 AM
mrki
Intermediate
Talking

6ft 2in? Thats not that tall
6ft 6in and I ride a sportster 1200C, I have forward controls but it still doesn't help much...cant stretch my legs much

Just bought highway Kuryakyn longhorn mounts+pegs on ebay which at least will help me to stretch my legs on long rides...well I hope it will I will give feedbacks once I get them.

I look for a seat as well, currently I have a nice looking one - lepera, fits perfect to the bike, but its not much comfortable during long rides, so I was thinking to switch over to something that will give more place, few cm back and up found few models but didn't decide yet.

Old 02-20-2012 | 04:56 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

I am 6'1". I have the exact same bike as you. Bike came with forward. I ditched them for mids,pushed the highway peg mounts forward. Still wasn't enough for my legs. Bought a mustang seat and now the bike fits me perfect. Pm me your email and I will send you pics.
The seat sets me back an extra 2". Ends up absolutely perfect. The stock seat was rounded where the back and butt met. The mustang is more cut,and straight down,pushing you back. That seat is the best mod I ever did to the bike.

Old 02-20-2012 | 06:20 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior

SEAT!
Im 6.2 have a Corbin solo. I tried 4 others prior to the corbin.
I love it, sets me sooo far back if it were any further back I would be lost. If your under 6ft you cant even ride my bike since its so stretched out....

Old 02-20-2012 | 04:19 PM
AussieLad
|
Novice

Thanks guys PM coming your way soon Shredding Rubber. Hmmm Corbin ... I've read good things about the Corbins. I just ordered a set of Kuryakyn forward control extensions so after all this the Corbin solo might leave me too stretched. The irony is not lost on me. What sort of bike you got Larry? I'm on a Fat Bob and haven't really sat on many Harleys - compared to others is the FB a big bike? Everything seems smaller when you're over 6ft

Old 02-21-2012 | 10:16 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain

I'm 6'2" and I have forward controls and a Harley "Badlander" seat on my Sporty and it's pretty comfortable.

Old 02-21-2012 | 11:13 AM
Finn111
Road Warrior

There are a couple of companies that make an Extended Forward Control kit that throws them out another three inches or so. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I have the Arlen Ness one on my Softail, works great.

Old 02-21-2012 | 11:25 AM
tke899
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Finn111
There are a couple of companies that make an Extended Forward Control kit that throws them out another three inches or so. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I have the Arlen Ness one on my Softail, works great.
+1 on the Arlen Ness extensions. I have the 3" extensions and love them. I think retail is about $189. Well worth it. I'm 6'1" so These will def make you feel more comfortable.

Old 02-21-2012 | 02:06 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer

I'm 6'6" and ride a Fat Bob with the Kury extended forwards. I actually bought mine off a guy who bought them for a Streetbob, but the part numbers were the same. If you get them, just be careful when removing the factory forwards, the bolts they use are really soft. You must have the proper size torx bit and must be very careful. The kit comes with new bolts to replace the soft ones with. You'll like them for the room, if they don't give you too much room. You will drag your heels more often though, for whatever reason the geometry drops your heels. At my height they were a must have.

Quick Reply: Tall rider needs advice