General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:31 AM
JLHOG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week ?

I am headed to FL on March 7th or 8th which by the time I get there bike week is about over. Is there much going on the following week? Or does everyone clear out right away. March 10th and 11th are shot as my brothers wedding reception is on Sat and Sun will be recovery day. I wont mind missing the big crowds of official bike week, but would like to see some of the goings on.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Daytona Bike Week ?

Bike Week 2007 is March 2-11. If you are there on the 7th or 8th, you are hitting it right in the middle. Are you tied up until after the 11th? Anytime during the week is huge with the biggest crowds on the final Friday and Saturday. If you come late, there will still be crowds but it will be clearing out and the events will be over. No cole slaw wrestling for you... If you haven't been before you will still enjoy it, just won't have the "parade" down main street.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:55 PM
JLHOG
Tourer

I wont leave MI until the 7th or 8th and will be busy on the 10th and 11th. So you are saying there is some activities the following week or just some folks running around trying to get out of town? I dont mind missing the crowds, but cant they keep wrestling for a few more days!!! I have not been to Bike Week and would like to at least get a taste of it. Maybe I will need to plan to leave MI a few days earlier if I can work that out.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:47 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Sorry to say it will look like a ghost town compared to the previous week

Old 12-18-2006, 03:49 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, you should try to leave earlier if you want to hit Bike Week. The following week is spring break for a lot of college kids. Lots of teenagers passing out and throwing up, etc.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: dstockton
Agreed, you should try to leave earlier if you want to hit Bike Week. The following week is spring break for a lot of college kids. Lots of teenagers passing out and throwing up, etc.
Not to mention driving drunk.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
camarotuner
Cruiser

Bike week sucks, skip it and go to disneyworld or something. Once upon a time it was fairly entertaining. It was a motorcycle rally. Now it's just a big party full of yuppy scum and other annoying people. Once the whole "motorcycle thing" hit TV it REALLY started going downhill. Lots of new riders who can't ride. People trailering their bikes to the party when they shouldn't. Hell I rode from PA to FL for bike week, if I can do it, so can you. It's just a stupid overblown mess. Pay too much for EVERYTHING. Sit at the club watching the titty dancers and the guy next to you is talking about a IRA. I have no idea what an IRA is, I don't care either, jesus there are really hot woman naked 5 feet from us, whatever an IRA is it can't be THAT damned interesting. I could keep ranting but that's bad for my blood pressure. Just avoid it. What was once the premiere bike rally is now just a dumb frat party for yuppy bikers, at least for the most part.

At this rate, another rally is getting close to being **** too, I'm looking at you Sturgis.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

camarotuner, tell us how you really feel...wow..

I have never been there myself and was told that the week after it is a ghost town. If I go this year, I plan on riding south after spending some time in Daytona. Want to ride to Key West, and around the Gulf before heading back North

Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 PM
bosnmate
Banned

Really now camarotuner, if it wasn't for new people getting into biking then there wouldn't be any type of Rally's for you not to go to. People have to ride to learn and learn to ride, I've been in and out of biking for over 17 years now both for pleasure and as a cop, I am not embarassed to say when I don't know something or that I need help on something most everybody here already knows. It is up to the veteran riders to welcome in and teach the new riders.

I don't live out of my saddle bags and when it rains the bike doesn't get rolled into the living room. I only clean it when its dirty and don't really give a cr*p if the chrome is perfectly shined. Also, I have an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) sort of, and it will allow me to retire in 8 more years at the age of 50 and I can spend all the time I want riding my scoot. I guess I am a yuppy biker, which is great, because I like it and I can afford it, also, not every yuppy biker trailers their motorcycle. Mine has never been on a trailer, if I can't ride there I don't go. Which by the way in the past 17 + years I have never been to Daytona, Sturgis or Myrtle Beach and could careless about going and listening to people bad mouth other people because they aren't or don't want to be Hell's Angles type riders and don't want to look like the stereotypical, movie portrayed biker. I am not going to drag my leathers behind the bike to give them that "I rode a million miles in these" look either. I don't want to hear somebody brag that they have a 5 year old car they bought new and it only has 3000 miles on the odometer and that their brand new HD is a year and a half old and has 48000 miles on it, that the only time they don't ride is when there is ice on the road, big deal.

Basically give the new guys and gals a break and instead of busting their chops how about helping them learn from your experience.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

I have been several times, now though, I mostly use it to meet up with friends from far and wide and just ride.
Last year didn't go downtown at night, just built a camp fire, listened to tunes, drank beer and told stories.
It was always an easy trip from South Florida, but now I've moved to Texas, so it will be a haul, 1200 miles, I can handle it, I think.[8D]

So to answer your question, there will not be much of anything going on the 12th forward.
If can leave earlier than planned, then that would be the only way to experience it.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week ?