General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Daytona Bike Week ?

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450

I use to go to Daytona religiously, but over time, it changed as does everything. They use to have sand drags on the beach down at the Ponch inletand the security people were the Outlaw's club who had thier club house just off mainstreet down by Boothill saloon. Drag racing at the Cabbage patch was big.They also had a streetdrags and the police were there running the christmas tree.. Everbody loved it!The unofficial name of the street dragswould be very offensive by todays standards.Any of you ever attend this? It was Fun..
I like the shirt that says "I took my bike to Trailer week".

Back in those days NOBODY trailered not even the guys from up
north,if they couldn't get out due to snow they would only trailer
far enough south to get out of the snow and no matter how cold
it was they rode down to Daytona!!!

Most of the hard core motorcyclests/bikers are long gone these
days, there are very few of them left any where... [:'(]

Old 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
fxdwgcvo
Cruiser

LOVE TO GO
as a new rider ive heard about dayona,sturgis myrtlebeach and laconia.of all these ive only been to laconia since i live on the northeast.I could only go for a week as id need time to ride there and back.Id like to go with somone from the northeast maybe split expenses,I would trailer the bike down if someone else didnt want to drive and has a 2 bike trailer or ill drive there and back.Im new to the hobby only been riding for a year but rode back in 81.

anyone interested in doing this email me

thanks
peter

Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone for the past 12 or so years and enjoy it every year. It's a spring time ritual for me. I go to see a lot of the racing but spend time with friends there as well. Flew downand trailered downa few times but the last 7 years I'veridden down and back. I'm from the Memphis area so our weather is moderate that time of year unless you hit a bad storm system. I've never held it against anyone who trailers. If I lived much farther away or in the northern states where snow and ice can still happen that time of year, I'd probably trailer (at least to Altanta or somewhere closer) just for the safety factor.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Fastlane
Tourer

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

where is daytona bike week?
Between Daytona 500 and spring break.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Vetter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450

I use to go to Daytona religiously, but over time, it changed as does everything. They use to have sand drags on the beach down at the Ponch inletand the security people were the Outlaw's club who had thier club house just off mainstreet down by Boothill saloon. Drag racing at the Cabbage patch was big.They also had a streetdrags and the police were there running the christmas tree.. Everbody loved it!The unofficial name of the street dragswould be very offensive by todays standards.Any of you ever attend this? It was Fun..
I like the shirt that says "I took my bike to Trailer week".

Back in those days NOBODY trailered not even the guys from up
north,if they couldn't get out due to snow they would only trailer
far enough south to get out of the snow and no matter how cold
it was they rode down to Daytona!!!

Most of the hard core motorcyclests/bikers are long gone these
days, there are very few of them left any where... [:'(]

You may be right.
But I look at Daytona as the only vacation I get during the year, atleast it was last year.
When I left for Daytona last year Saturday morning at 5:00 AM, we had 6" of snow, and it was 28 degrees. By the time we arrived in Orlando Sunday morning at 4:00 AM the temperature had risen all the way up to 33 degrees the entire trip down. Now, I leave for work all the time and its 28 degrees, I can handle that for a 45 mile trip anyday, and I actually enjoy it, a 24 hour trip would just be very uncomfortable and nothing to enjoy.
I may not be "hard core", but I don't have anyone to impress either. I go to have a good time, and enjoy the riding in 70 degree weather during the day. Us Northerners can really appreciate that, especially because we can get the scoots out in a comfortable environment for the first time of the year!

Old 12-19-2006, 04:44 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 2,569 Posts

march is hell in daytona. I've said it before too expensive, too many people. It used to be fun back in the 70 thru the mid 80's with the cops runnin the races and you didn't have to sit in a bar to see naked women. I go now to Deland and hook up with whoevers comming down and ride the old countryside like bwlucky 13 is saying. Take the side streeets to get out of the traffic and miss the main road tie ups. You can always pay 10-15 dollars to park your bike a block off of Main St.
It isn't like the old days and one trip there will make up your mind if you'll come back. I like biketoberfest, lot less crowded still expensive though. The week after is spring breaks.I'm not much on kids in thier mommies hummers and beemers drunk and ridin on the same road as me.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: camarotuner

Bike week sucks, skip it and go to disneyworld or something. Once upon a time it was fairly entertaining. It was a motorcycle rally. Now it's just a big party full of yuppy scum and other annoying people. Once the whole "motorcycle thing" hit TV it REALLY started going downhill. Lots of new riders who can't ride. People trailering their bikes to the party when they shouldn't. Hell I rode from PA to FL for bike week, if I can do it, so can you. It's just a stupid overblown mess. Pay too much for EVERYTHING. Sit at the club watching the titty dancers and the guy next to you is talking about a IRA. I have no idea what an IRA is, I don't care either, jesus there are really hot woman naked 5 feet from us, whatever an IRA is it can't be THAT damned interesting. I could keep ranting but that's bad for my blood pressure. Just avoid it. What was once the premiere bike rally is now just a dumb frat party for yuppy bikers, at least for the most part.

At this rate, another rally is getting close to being **** too, I'm looking at you Sturgis.
Hey, just sit back and enjoy!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: toyrider

camarotuner, tell us how you really feel...wow..

I have never been there myself and was told that the week after it is a ghost town. If I go this year, I plan on riding south after spending some time in Daytona. Want to ride to Key West, and around the Gulf before heading back North
That really depends on when Spring Break starts actually. I don't know this year, but when I was a freshman in college, spring break was literally the week after Bike Week! So as far as it turning into a ghost town, not really. Not as many bikes or rich drunk retards to be sure, (just poor college retards! ) but still pretty busy.

Also keep in mind that Spring Break is typically different weeks for colleges. I remember that my spring break (for Florida State) was a different week from the Univ. of Florida and U. of Miami's spring breaks, to keep the tensions down. So you'll probably see a decent amount of young cute hotties in bikini's either way......

Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess to clarify,is more of a ghost town when it came to the bike events and riders. Which I am only going off what I was told, since I have never been to Bike Week

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: toyrider

camarotuner, tell us how you really feel...wow..

I have never been there myself and was told that the week after it is a ghost town. If I go this year, I plan on riding south after spending some time in Daytona. Want to ride to Key West, and around the Gulf before heading back North
That really depends on when Spring Break starts actually. I don't know this year, but when I was a freshman in college, spring break was literally the week after Bike Week! So as far as it turning into a ghost town, not really. Not as many bikes or rich drunk retards to be sure, (just poor college retards! ) but still pretty busy.

Also keep in mind that Spring Break is typically different weeks for colleges. I remember that my spring break (for Florida State) was a different week from the Univ. of Florida and U. of Miami's spring breaks, to keep the tensions down. So you'll probably see a decent amount of young cute hotties in bikini's either way......

Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live on the west coast of FL, only about 3 hours from Daytona. Went last year for the first time, and just made my reservations to go again this year. We stay in Mt. Dora, which is about 50-60 miles west of Daytona. Cozy little town, not too expensive or crowded. Then we head to Daytona on Saturday morning, it's a nice ride on some country roads. Last year we did all the tourist stuff, Main St. is quite the zoo, but it should be seen at least for an hour or two. This past biketoberfest, we did the same thing, only did a lot more riding up A1A towards St. Augustine. Beautiful ride right along the ocean. We will do a lot more riding over there this year, less sightseeing. It's an easy ride for us Floridians, not sure if I'd come a thousand miles to do it though. But everyone should do it once.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week ?