General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New for 2012 Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I pulled the trigger on one of these for myself and my GF. Shipping "early March" so we will see when they get here. Just to many new features over the MultiTech.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
I pulled the trigger on one of these for myself and my GF.
Where did you order from? Wifey has the Multitec, but this looks great and I want one.
I never thought I'd say that about a full faced helmet...

Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Bobby9621
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one is on my radar to replace my KBC modular, don't have the money, just a dream, maybe late this summer. I also like the RF1100 if I don't springer for the modular, damn glasses....

Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Looks like I'm a little late with my comment, but I like Shoei's in general. However, I think that helmets that flip open at the chin defeat the purpose of a full face helmet as I've always heard they aren't as protective as a solid shell without the hinge. I like skid lids and 3/4 helmets, but a few years back my wife asked me wear a full face since not having a lower jaw would be bad. Since she's put up with me riding everyday in LA traffic for many years, I obliged and bought a nice Shoei RF-1000. I guess I feel that if I'm wearing a full face for safety reasons, why reduce the benefits just so I can flip the front of it up when I'm not ridding? Just my .02.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 AM
dothedoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Thingfish
However, I think that helmets that flip open at the chin defeat the purpose of a full face helmet as I've always heard they aren't as protective as a solid shell without the hinge.Just my .02.
I'm with you. The modulars make no sense.....unless you're a smoker I suppose.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Where did you order from? Wifey has the Multitec, but this looks great and I want one.
I never thought I'd say that about a full faced helmet...
Bought online from Revzilla. Checked all internet sources and pretty much same price accross the board.....

Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Will quickly share my reasons for liking the modular. First, I dont like to wear a helmet in general. Have always worn a open face full helmet in spite of the fact that I looked like an astronaut. Witnessed my sis-in-law do a full faceplant off her Fatboy wearing only a 3/4 helmet. Decided titanium faceplate was not my style. Immediately want a full face helmet but cant deal with the closed in suffocation of the design. Modular gives me what I want in the combo...ability to open up the full face as well as protection of the full face with chinbar in place. I trust the integrity of the design. Well at least this what I am expecting. We'll see. It might end up hanging on the wall with the rest of my helmets.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an older Multitec. At the time I found it on a site called Parts411.com Not sure if they still even exist! Anyway it was $360 including shipping. They were $499 everwhere esle. Glad they updated it. When I need a new one, that will be it. Same as above, I need to breathe when at a stoplight. In Florida heat I would suffocate otherwise!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Update:

Well my new Shoei Neotec helmet arrived yesterday by UPS. Here are my initial thoughts about this helmet. I have NOT had a chance to ride with it yet so I cant speak to that at this time.

First impressions is that this is a fabulous helmet from a construction point of view. Very well made with a lot of features and an improvement over the MultiTech in many ways that I felt justified the extra $150 or so for the Neotec.
The helmet is an oval shape, not the typical mushroom shape of my old Shoei 3/4. It is a large helmet but very light. My head felt totally encased in foam while wearing this helmet. I am ordering thinner cheek pads as the standard are a bit to tight for me. I like the fact that the "guts" of this helmet is totally removable and washable. The chin bar lift mechanism works smoothly and flawlessly. The shield mechanism has several detents which makes opening the shield effortless. I also like the flip down inner sun visor feature. Just a lot of great features on this helmet. I am very pleased with it and am anxious to try it out on the road.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Bobby9621
Tourer

Let us know what you think of it on the road!

Quick Reply: New for 2012 Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet