Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Quicknick
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?

In my 30+ years of riding, I have never asked anyone to let me ride their bike or let anyone use mine. (it's an unwritten biker law)
However, I have a neighbor that has been bugging me to let him take my scoot out for the afternoon. He currently rides a Suzuki 650 and wants to step up to a big bagger. He wants to take his wife out and convince her to let him trade up.
One part of me wants to let him jump on and go. I know a long country ride on my Glide and he'll be totally in love and need to have one.There is nothing I'd love more than converting HIM to dump that Suzuki and come to the dark side!
He is an experienced rider and a trusted friend. None of that is an issue. But I can't seem to pull the trigger on this.
I've told him to hit the Harley Dealer for a test ride, or just rent one. But he doesn't want to spend the money or time since his buddy Quicknick has one sitting in his garage. As always, your advice is appreciated. How would you handle this?
BTW, I told him he could take my bike out if he left his ol' lady with me for the afternoon. (a ride for a ride) He thought about it for awhile, then reluctantly said "no". Hey, i tried.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. Not a chance.

Maybe temper it with "hey....lets find a place that will rent you one, and we'll go riding together".

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this from J&P on their Facebook feed.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

I let a friend ride mine. I would be really hesitant to let it go for a afternoon tho.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've let friends ride my bike but these are guys I've been really tight with for 15 years or so now. Even still Im usually in sight of my bike when they are riding it. (I'm on theirs) I won't let certain friends ride it cause I know they don't have the money to fix it, if they did go down.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friends and family I ride with swap bikes often enough. It's kinda cool to mix it up from time to time. Nobody in our group worries about "what ifs" and I feel sorry for those that do.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. I would let my brother-in-law take a quick spin if he asked, only because we ride together a lot and I honestly trust him. A buddy bought my old custom and I didn't let him ride it until I had cash in hand. I told him I would give him the money back if he didn't want it and returned it intact. He had never ridden a bike other than a crotch rocket, so I was uneasy with him handling a pro street. Tell your neighbor to go rent a bike. IMO, a true friend would never ask such a favor any way. Out riding together and swapping for a few miles is one thing, but a whole afternoon out of sight is another thing.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,913 Likes on 5,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicknick
He is an experienced rider and a trusted friend.
Obviously not ...it's just a possession ...you don't trust him too much. I have gone to a friends house, unlocked his garage, loaded his bike, and hauled it several states away, unloaded it...so it was ready to go when he got there...because he couldn't get off work...no biggie... if you don't feel comfortable, grow a set and tell him NO...end of story

Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Tell him to rent one at the nearest dealer. Then he would understand why you wouldn't lend your ride to anybody!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dub976
I've let friends ride my bike but these are guys I've been really tight with for 15 years or so now. Even still Im usually in sight of my bike when they are riding it. (I'm on theirs) I won't let certain friends ride it cause I know they don't have the money to fix it, if they did go down.
Pretty much the same here. My brother is only person I'll turn loose on my bike. Its the same way with his Road King. We've swapped at times for a whole weekend before just for the hell of it.

Quick Reply: Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?