Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,968 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Count the people who have ever rode my bike in the last 30 yrs on one hand and have fingers left over , you got better chance talken my OL out of a BJ , go for it . I don't even like test riding repair jobs I've done , just me .

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Craftynicknamehere
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only experienced riders with enough money in checking to pay for it. Most that qualify have there own.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have to ask us,I think you dont want too.

I would'nt ask someone,it kinda puts the person on the spot.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have swapped bikes, let a bud take whatever bike I had at the time for a few days, rented my current bike out for a video shoot. I would loan or not loan my truck or bike to the same people or not for the same reasons, no different. And for the record, stuff has happened on those loans, drops, crashes, tires, scratches, it has never ruined a friendship that I have.

Last edited by qtrracer; 02-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I let my uncle take my bike out for a spin. Seasoned rider of over 50 years. I have ridden with him many times. I had no problem handing the keys over.
Now when I sold my v-star this winter the buyer wanted to test ride it. I said sure,after you give me the full asking price in cash.
Around the block is one thing,an afternoon,to a guy who routinely rides a sportbike is nuts. I guarantee you he is going to test it out to see how it performs.
I wouldn't risk my bike,unless I was riding right beside him. Jmo

Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Its just a machine, they made lots of Harleys. My bikes are insured and it does not matter if they are listed on your policy as long as they have your permission to ride it and are licensed. I would just go for a ride with them and swap up for a spell. If he can't afford one right away you won't be doing him any favors though. He will hate his bike after riding yours.
My bike is insured also, but if someone takes my bike for a ride with my permission and they break their neck or kill someone in an accident it's on me. The insurance follows the bike not the rider. This could be a Canadian thing I don't know. My riding buddy switched bikes with me a couple years ago, his FatBoy for my Heritage. I didn't like it one bit. It just didn't sit right with me. For me its twofold, insurance liability and the fact I don't want anyone else on my bike. I've never asked anyone ever to ride their bike.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,937 Likes on 12,141 Posts

One of my friends rides metric and I'm just waiting for the day he asks to ride mine. My response will be -

"Harleys are totally different from what you are used to. They steer differently, brake differently, and mainly, they are much, much heavier than what you are used to riding. No - it's not about strong. It's about momentum and handling something that weighs twice what you are used to. And then there's the riding position - feet out front. You're not used to that and it takes a bit of adjustment. I don't want you to get hurt, not that that would necessarily happen, and I don't want my bike wrecked. I think we should go rent a Softail because they are a bit lighter and I'll coach you. We'll do a ride together. It'll be fun and we'll see if Harleys are the right bike for you"

On the other hand, I have another friend who rides a Heritage. I would let him take my bike because I know he can handle it.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Only time my bike goes out with somebody else is if I'm right beside them on their bike.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Twangmaster
Advanced

Only one person has ever ridden one of my scoots.... my Son, While I on his Sporty right behind him. Only one bad thing about that whole adventure..... now he's always wanting to 'swap' when we're riding.

Probably ok, just make sure the insurance is good....

Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
ecupirate
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike has insurance, I would let him ride. When I was a lot younger I probably would have said no. Now that I am older and realize that Harley makes them everyday I would let him go!

Quick Reply: Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?