Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,968 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
This is so true. It's like, yeah they make them all the time, but this one is MINE! It's got my soul in it. My current bike is still fairly new and I"m still in the bonding process. But once that bonding takes place; once you experience that comfort and "oneness" with your bike; and you have it set up just for you; you don't want to lose that
You understand , kudos

Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

No,I don't loan out my bike to anyone & would never ask to borrow anybody elses.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,915 Likes on 6,641 Posts

There are a very select few that I trust....and they know who they are. I understand that **** happens. It never has, and likely never will with that bunch. It also doesn't come up very often.

On the flip side, I've had everyone from close friends to complete strangers offer me their bike. One friend wanted me to inspect something while riding it, another told me to just take his bike down to the store, because it was parked behind mine. Others have asked me to work on their bike knowing I will road test it before giving it back to them. The complete stranger needed help due to a broken starter. I pulled up in my pickup, and after offering help, the guy (without knowing if I even owned a bike) push-started it with ME at the controls (his preference). Go figure.....but we got him on his way.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That's among club brother's only in my neck of the woods and most the people I felt way with are long gone anymore so Bitch & I will continue to keep our own company for a while longer . Got one good friend who can ride her if the need arises but he's just like me he won't ask , another old shovelhead knuckle dragger .
Yep, most are gone sadly, a few left I would say: go, have fun, fill her up when you bring her back.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Having 5, my wife, sone and daughter al "borrow" one all the time. I also have a couple of long time friends (30+ years) that I would let use one. But no one rides the 49 but me.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have no problem tossing my keys to a friend. The problem is, usually a guy will jump on someone else's bike, go around the first corner then open the throttle all the way and rev the living **** out of it. So if they agree ahead of time not to do that, and I trust them then they can take it.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got one friend I let ride my motorcycles. The reason - he lets me ride/drive all his toys... including his plane!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Never borrowed my bike to anyone. Never loaned a bike from anyone. Except family.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Trainlights
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm tight with family and a core group of friends. I've swapped Harley's, loaned mine out, and never been burned.

But I have also heard a horror story through my brother when a friend was loaning his bike, and seen he tank destroyed, not once, but twice by the same guy on the same trip.

For me, it all comes down to whether I can afford to loan it, and whether I would hold a grudge against the person if an accident occurred. If I can't say yes to both of those, than I wouldn't loan it.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
elbohead
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I borrowed my friend's Super Glide and he rode my Deluxe. I'm hoping for a similar situation with the wives.

Quick Reply: Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?