General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:09 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

What I'm picking up through this whole thread is just a shift in the people who own bikes and a sign of the times . Most old school or seriously into it guys are in the old mindset NO it's mind not yours . Old school types tend to see the bike as much more than a object . Late comers to this , well its just another toy like the car so hey I'll get another or whatever .

Not good or bad just a difference in life values that's all .

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:18 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

A few years back during the boom times when you couldn't just walk into any dealership and buy a replacement bike if something happened, I was hesitant to ride someone else's bike or to let someone ride mine. Nowadays I change up and ride my friends bikes and they ride mine. It has given me lots of seat time on a Wide Glide, Road Glide, Rocker C, and a Dresser. Of course, we are usually riding with each other. Have a friend now who is having lots of work done on his bike so he is riding my second bike to satisfy his "in the wind" time.

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 02-17-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2012 | 10:30 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Never borrowed it to anyone.

Loaned it to a few close friends so they could ride it though.

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:32 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
What I'm picking up through this whole thread is just a shift in the people who own bikes and a sign of the times . Most old school or seriously into it guys are in the old mindset NO it's mind not yours . Old school types tend to see the bike as much more than a object . Late comers to this , well its just another toy like the car so hey I'll get another or whatever .

Not good or bad just a difference in life values that's all .
Meh - in my case, while I love my bike and it is important to me, at the end of the day, it is a mass-produced, easily replaceable machine - nothing more.

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:34 AM
offshore
Cruiser

Only my wife rides mine. And Only me rides here's. We're also not into ""giving rides

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:46 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

For as long as I can remember, my best friend and I have traded off bikes on occassion when we're out riding for the day. He's been my best friend all these years because I know that come hell or high water, he'll do the right thing. He's also the kind of guy who, if I called him at 2 in the morning, broke down hours from home, he'd bring a tool box and a truck and get me home, no questions asked. And he knows I'll do the same for him.

Does that mean every other friend and aquaintance I have gets the same treatment?

Hell, no...

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:47 AM
noiddodge
Intermediate

I've rode a couple of my club brothers scoots (out of necessity - bike had to be moved), and rode my BIL on a road trip while he was deployed (just to keep the oil stirred up...... and to "test drive" a bagger with the OL - to convince her we need one )

I know i "can" ride my bro's scoots whenever i want to...... i just won't ask - and neither will they......

just my .02

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:53 AM
okiesteve
Cruiser

Only to CLOSE friends that ride also and we are always riding together.

Mikey05
Advanced

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Meh - in my case, while I love my bike and it is important to me, at the end of the day, it is a mass-produced, easily replaceable machine - nothing more.

while, yes it is a mass-produced machine.. i don't know if id say easily replaceable.. yes, i could get the same color, same year, same handlebars, same exhaust... but it wouldn't be the same bike. There is something special about looking at pictures from a trip or ride and then walking out to the garage and seeing the same bike.. and that will only get better with time.

To answer the original question, I'll let my 2 brothers and dad ride my bike and vice versa without question. Im extremely weary about anyone else.

Last edited by Mikey05; 02-17-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Sure would. Buddy let me borrow his for a trip out west when mine was broke down.

Quick Reply: Have you ever borrowed your bike to anyone?