General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a risk on used parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
AflacEmery
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a risk on used parts

and looks like it bit me in the a$$. I got a Vance and Hines ProPipe from j&p cycles off their scratch and dent section that came in the mail today. In the description it said that it had a couple of minor scratches on the collector heat shield, and that it had been on a running bike before. It also said that the header had been replaced with a new one. The muffler has some blue to it, but has a shield that goes over that and you'll never see it.

All that is fine, the problem is that it didn't come with any bolts or the mounting bracket for the muffler, and the header heat shields are missing. I talked to the guy over live chat and he said scratch and dent is "as is" and gave me a price to buy the shields for 125 bucks. I'm not even sure the shields he quoted me are the right ones.

Guess I should have known better, but in the description it never said anything about missing heat shields or that bracket, and now I have to track down these parts. Anyone else run into this, and can you even get the bracket I need, or do I have to fab my own?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would give Vance and Hines a call. From my experience, their customer service is top notch. I lost some bolts from the mounting bracket on my bike and I called them up and they mailed them to me no charge. I'm not saying they will send you everything you need for free, but I guarantee they can get you the parts you are missing.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Trainlights
Tourer

Yup, use that customer service to your advantage. Ask for a manager, explain that you are being given the run-around and that it was misrepresented.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you used a credit card..call them and they will go after them....you won't pay. If paypal....I think the same thing.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Don't see where you got bit for that price and you did get everything that was in the description , correct or not ?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
AflacEmery
Tourer

They never disclosed that there were missing parts, they only claimed that it had a couple scratches on it, it had been on a running bike and that the header pipe would be a new one. Don't get me wrong the discount was good, but if I have to buy the heat shields and other missing parts I should have just bought a new system. I'm going to call them soon and sort it out.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't see where you got bit for that price and you did get everything that was in the description , correct or not ?
i can't say whether he got bit or not, he didn't give the price he paid... 100 bucks, he got a deal, 400 bucks, yeah he got bit.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
AflacEmery
Tourer

Paid 325, and if it was a complete system then it would have been a good price, could have got it for 540 brand new

Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Yah that was a bit much your right my bad dude , word of advice if I may . Don't give up bargain shopping because of this experience just sharpen your knowledge & tactics a bit .
What they did is say what was there not what wasn't , that's typical on open box or return deals like this . Always expect to have missing stuff you have to ask outright about everything and don't be shy doing it , lots of stuff missing ask for better price breaks or what will they do to help you get what you need and never be afraid to ask or dicker on price it's a non retail deal in the as is or scratch & deals they are trying to move . Always do the phone thing and get a live voice with names and make a copy as you go on the whole thing , if the place get dodgy or acts like it's a pain move and look elsewhere the deal will not benefit you .

Pain I know but roll with what you got and shoot higher next time knowing what the game is .

Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AflacEmery
Paid 325, and if it was a complete system then it would have been a good price, could have got it for 540 brand new

Yup you got porked...$325 for a complete scratch and dent system would have been a fair price

Quick Reply: Took a risk on used parts