General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Farm

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default State Farm

My Dad had water damage from two leaking faucets in his mobile home. State Farm wrote it up as two claims. By the time it was over the claim payout was $15,000 and change.

My dad got a letter from Snake Farm today that they were canceling his home owners insurance. The two claims were excessive payout.

Now some one correct me if I am wrong. I thought that was what insurance companies were "Supposed" to do. so as long as you pay them and don't want anything they are happy. A** Holes.

I guess they are paranoid about water damage.

I am still trying to fix up things that they screwed up or left for me to do.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:04 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: State Farm

Seen this happen with the Good hands folks too.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:14 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know most companies will drop you after 2 claims... not just state farm.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:20 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the frequency of the claims figures in there too. I had a similar situation a few years ago but the claims adjuster said in view of my long association with State Farm, they were going to honor the "excessive frequency" thing by averaging it out over the life of my patronage. Seemed fair to me.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now wait until he trys to get insurance with another company and at a reasonable price since they all look at every claim that was ever paid out. The cost will be sky high

Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 AM
jimbo21165
Banned

hmmmmm....this is touchy for me.......My wife has worked for the Farm for 29 years. She is a Claim Rep. She tells me, almost daily, how her day went, and what she was involved with. Some days, I say, "wow, that was interesting...." to totally ignoring her.
Some things she tells me, my radar catches, and I ask, "why did ya'll do that"....

All in all, I had the Farm before I met her.....homeowners, vehicles, life, credit union......I have a lot of friends from college in that business, and all I can say is,,,,,,you better tell your Dad to stay with the Farm.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes insurance companies also consider the risk. If someone is lacidasical in the care of their home that they would allow two seperate things to continue being a problem long enough that they would cause that extensive of damage, adios.!!

Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 AM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

Same thing with Farmer's a few years ago. Had Insurance with them for 18 yrs made a claim that was about 6 or 7 thousand and they canceled me after pay off.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to defend or condemn anyone in this. But, looking at it from a pure business standpoint...if your premium was $300.00/year you would have to pay them for 50 years just to cover this one incident. If I understand your post correctly, the problem started as a leaky faucet!? How long do you have to neglect a leaky faucet to create $15,000. damage? To a moble home no less? You can buy a new one for that kind of money, and a good one for twice that. Home owners insurance was intended to cover catastrophic accidents and acts of nature. It is not a maintenance contract.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of insurance. THEY like to receive the Premiums, BUT low and behold if they must PAY a claim![:@] If THEY do pay a claim, THEY jack up your premiums to cover your, I'm sorry....THEIR loss![:@][:@] Tim

Quick Reply: State Farm