General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Farm

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: State Farm

ORIGINAL: Roses

Not to defend or condemn anyone in this. But, looking at it from a pure business standpoint...if your premium was $300.00/year you would have to pay them for 50 years just to cover this one incident. If I understand your post correctly, the problem started as a leaky faucet!? How long do you have to neglect a leaky faucet to create $15,000. damage? To a moble home no less? You can buy a new one for that kind of money, and a good one for twice that. Home owners insurance was intended to cover catastrophic accidents and acts of nature. It is not a maintenance contract.

this was a $30,000 double wide in the 80's. The agent decided to split it into two claims. the authorized state farm contractors claimed they had to replace all of the chipboard flooring in each room regardless if it was damaged or not. They tore the cabinets out having to replace them.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap
The insurance company would not have been out of line to deny the whole claim as the loss was certainly avoidable and probably expected after leaking as long as it had to to cause that amount of damage.

A plastic fitting split in the kitchen under the sink when my dad turned off the faucet. before we could get the water turned off we had 1" of water in the kitchen, dining room, hall and into the bath. the whole trailor was floored in chipboard. You know how long it takes water to ruin chipboard. The cabinets were made of chipboard

My dad is 87 years old and lives by his self. When the agent was inspecting the damage we found a slow drip in the bath. He decided to mark it as two claims.

What you don't know about keep your comments to your self about.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:03 AM
DaveT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who lets two faucets leak long enough to collect $15,000 on a trailer should be singing the praises of State Farm instead of complaining. He's lucky they didn't prosecute him for insurance fraud.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
flyinlow
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Smitty0128

heres one for you. My parents have had the same MAJOR ins company for over 20 years on their house in Florida and have NEVER made a claim. They get notified last week that their policy on the house is cancelled and can not get a home owners policy anymore from the company. The company says NO ONE is insuring homes in FL that were made before 2003 . They check and sure enough no one will take a new policy. They have to get an off the wall company for 3 times more. They are being told that the claims from hurricanes have all the major companies leaving FL as a market.

Its funny you mention this. I was talking to a regional State Farm rep at a party this summer. He was being transferred from North Dakota to Florida and basically told me the same thing. Most of the major insurance companies are pulling out of Florida, State Farm will be one of the few left. And as you can guess, premiums have doubled or tripled for people along the coasts.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you choose to live in paradise, there is a price to pay. It would be great to live by the ocean or a river, but I'm not willing to deal with floods and hurricanes to have that.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:30 PM
flyinlow
Advanced

ORIGINAL: DMSC

I have had State Farm coverage on my vehicles for over 15 years and have not had any problems with them (one at-fault claim in that time period).

I TRIED to get a policy for my scoot through them but, they were like 40-50% higher than just about everbody else! I was told they didn't give discounts for scoots like they do for multiple vehicles. [&:]
I'm surprised they were that much higher. I pay about $300 per year each for my bikes. They are both over 1000 cc's. I recently got a quote from them for a FatBoy and it was about $350 per year.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL:wlbowers

A plastic fitting split in the kitchen under the sink when my dad turned off the faucet. before we could get the water turned off we had 1" of water in the kitchen, dining room, hall and into the bath. the whole trailor was floored in chipboard. You know how long it takes water to ruin chipboard. The cabinets were made of chipboard

My dad is 87 years old and lives by his self. When the agent was inspecting the damage we found a slow drip in the bath. He decided to mark it as two claims.

ORIGINAL: DaveT

Anyone who lets two faucets leak long enough to collect $15,000 on a trailer should be singing the praises of State Farm instead of complaining. He's lucky they didn't prosecute him for insurance fraud.
DaveT - Did you read wlbowers' post immediately above yours before you wrote that? My Mom is 85 and lives by herself. She's had her basement flooded due to heavy rains and a leak in the foundation that wasn't discovered until it was too late. Sometimes, chit happens. Have some compassion dude.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:01 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

I've had State Farm for about 15 years. I have my mobile home, two cars, one bike, and business insurance with them; and they've treated me great.

I had the heat exchanger on my furnace crack and the sooting from the combustion chamber was blown out of the vents leaving a black film all over everything in the house. The claim paid out nearly $4,000.00 and there's been no talk of cancelation. I really do feel like I have a great agent though. I don't go into the office for years at a time and they still address me by first name....I don't know how they do that. I can't remember some peoples names for 30 seconds.

I've had a couple towing charges and a windshield replacement covered as well. I was also happily surprised to not have my rates increase at all after the two speeding tickets I had several years back.

I checked around a couple years ago, and no-one I got a quote from even came close to the low premiums I've got with SF.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:38 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: wlbowers

ORIGINAL: whaap
The insurance company would not have been out of line to deny the whole claim as the loss was certainly avoidable and probably expected after leaking as long as it had to to cause that amount of damage.

Your original post referred to "two leaking faucets". It didn't say anything about a ruptured pipe or fitting. Is it possible that is what led me to not know what I was talking about??