General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolest / best event @ Myrtle Beach Bike week 5-11 to 5-28

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gaslog4
This post is very Mean Spirted, Hateful and Racist. I am a Black Man and have attended bike week for the past 10 plus years with my wife and friends. Statements or Opinions like yours Reinforce Stereotypes and do not do a lot to promote Racial Harmony..... How would you feel if I referred to Your Daughter, Your Wife or Your Mother,who I do not know as a "HO"?.... If this is the way you feel, I dont think this Public Forum is where this statement Should Have Been Voiced...Lets keep the topics on Bikes and Stay Away from Race and Religion...
this is funny,,,mention kfc or burger king and people throw the race card...mention Ho and and think your talking about someone in their family....Jeez...
So your telling me only Black Americans ride sport bikes and eat fast food....
Like I said in the post, some people cant handle Myrtle Beach Bike week and Atlantic city (black bike week) at the same time as HD dealership wants without gettin a bug in their panties....To clarify, black bike week was given to atlantic city bike week by its promotors and major contributing club which happened top be Black Americans back in the 80's and didnt get the gasp of "how dare they call it that" that it does today.
young Blacks are not the only kids on the block that are wearing baggies, Mr T starter sets, stretched swingarms on their crotch rockets, with speakers booming bass beats and singing with the latest rap music....It's across the board today so grow up and look out the window....the message was intended to tell folks that they are likely to pull into a gas station and end up in a scene of the fast and the furious not that "ooooooh, Edith, look over there its a Black youngster on an Honda,,,,we better run for our lives"....give the race card a break or use it for a crutch all your life...its up to you.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Spur56
Road Captain

I am from SC and know the MB area and many of the business people there. I do not go to MB bike week anymore and will not go back for a long time. Thunder Beach in Panama City is much more fun and they want you there.

I am going to sate facts from the business owners there and this may sound racist, but they are not. The business owners have always wanted and enjoyed the HD bike week. They make lot's of money and the HD owners are well thought of by the folks in MB regardless of their race. The sport bike week on the other hand is a tragedy. Most of the business owners close down and leave for the week. Unfortunately, and I am not trying to sterotype here, the sport bike week is a big problem. They steal, walk out of restaurants without paying, trash the place and generally cause much destruction. They urinate on the street, throw trash and all manner of stuff in the street and are generally disliked by the entire community. I will not go to the MB area during that time and I have property there. Now generalizations are never completely true or false, there are good and bad folks at both events, but the sport bike week is a disaster for those in MB. Because of the sport bike week and the charge of being racist if you get rid of one, they have decided that they just don't want to deal with it anymore, so both are not going to be supported. The locals will miss the HD bike week, but they will not miss the sport bike week. I have no problem with anyone if they act like they are suppose to , but I can't stand a punk. Respect is earned, not given!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
56tbird
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spur56...

You pretty much nailed it... I would say the biggest difference in the two bike weeks is the ages of them, not necessarily the races... What draws 18-35 year olds is not the same thing that draws 30+ people.

I had a 2nd home down there from 2000-2005 and rented it during the bike weeks. All I can say is this....
The people that rented during HD bike week were my BEST renters in the 5 years I had the place. My rental mgr and cleaning person said that they left the place spotless. I rented during the Atlantic Beach Bike festival twice and incurred $750 and $1600 worth of damages respectively. One of the renters dragged my entire dining room set out into my yard for an outdoor party.
Needless to say, I blocked out that bike week for the rest of the time I had the house.

Last edited by 56tbird; 02-15-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM
shaker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been going for years and plan on it this year. Go with a lot of friends and we hang out up in Cherry Grove at Captain Poo's and Swing-Bridge Bar. Then by-pass MB and head to Murrells Inland and have a blast every time. Didn't have one cop even look our way. The only time I saw a problem arise was when some idiot wanted to show everyone his bike is the loudest by constantly rapping the throttle. He deserved what he got as far as I'm concerned. I love loud pipes but obnoxious pipes and a jerk holding the throttle I can do without.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

What did you guys expect. Its South Fricken Carolina!!! Where it's OK to marry a 16 yr old girl, as long there is consent. Where white is right and black is wrong. Being asian didn't help. Shoot they thought I was going to do their dry cleaning. They automatically assume you are in the military because you are asian. Which I actually was at the time. My time spent there over was short (thankfully). It was such a bass ackwards place to be

It was great being out there, but I had white friends to hang out with, so I didn't feel too excluded.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Bars and restuarants basically, a small version of Daytona. No roads to ride worth mentioning.

Attached Thumbnails Coolest / best event @ Myrtle Beach Bike week  5-11 to 5-28-sturgis-2011-148-640x478-.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=vizcarmb;9413566]What did you guys expect. Its South Fricken Carolina!!! Where it's OK to marry a 16 yr old girl, as long there is consent. Where white is right and black is wrong. Being asian didn't help. Shoot they thought I was going to do their dry cleaning. They automatically assume you are in the military because you are asian. Which I actually was at the time. My time spent there over was short (thankfully). It was such a bass ackwards place to be

Agree 100%....South Carolina needs to catch up to the 21st century......its 2012 not 1812.
I used to think Mississippi was the worst for stupidity,racism and bigotry but SC takes the cake.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I am going to Daytona in March and maybe Panama City later on. Will not go where bikers are not welcome.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Got a couple of good friends who ride, living in MB. They assure me that the blue hairs who got all the legislation passed against bikers still don't want bikes in MB.

And they also say that if you think the money you spend OUTside the city limits isn't making it back into the hands of those same ********, they'll sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.

Said it before and I'll say it every time a MB thread comes up...there are too many places to ride to where people roll out the red carpet for bikers...

MB has seen the last of my bike, my $$ and my happy ***.