General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's satisfied with factory bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM
1roadcaptain
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's satisfied with factory bikes?

I’ve been riding Harley Davidson’s for nearly 30 years. My first one which I still have, had to be chromed out. I soon learned the old adage that chrome don’t get you home. There is a lot of truth in that as I know from experience. It has had all the good goodies in it now and has had for many years. Probably for more than most people on this forum. No offence meant for the old salt’s. But a old friend of mine bought a 82 Sturgis from my sister that was like new and rode the **** out of it and put over 75k miles on it and the only thing we ever did to it other than wear items was replace the voltage regulator. I rode this bike for over a year on occasions before my friend bought it to keep the battery charged for her. I said back then “If I ever get a factory new Harley I aint messin’ with it!” Well that time has passed several times over! Over the last twenty years I’ve owned three new Harley’s, countless miles, and never been stranded. I’m happy with a near factory scoot. As for my new 2012 Ultra Limited I must admit I did upgrade the sound system and had the dealer throw in a front bumper, after all there is one on the rear so why not have one on the front. So from my experience more changes seems to bring more problems, so I’m satisfied with my stock scooters. My .02 cents worth.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

me. but I don't really have anything to compare 'em with.

Last edited by Blackfly; 02-12-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 1roadcaptain
I said back then “If I ever get a factory new Harley I aint messin’ with it!”
I always say that...usually lasts about 3 months... Well except for this last bike it only lasted 3 days till I was buying mods.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
drtbkkar
Novice

I'm with you on that, all I did was clean out the header.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pipes intake and a tune. Seat and bars. thats all im planning on doing.
I like the power the bike has. Happy with the ride. Like the look.
So, is that factory? Or is it considered modified?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

Have had two HD's so far; both have been expensive blank canvas's...and a lot of fun. Don't know which one I'd start with next if I had too...stock works fine but modified is more fun...and waaay more expensive, too.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 108 Posts

I think I would have to agree with you, RoadCap. I never had any issues with mine when bone stock. After Stage 1 then 2, and a few other things, I always feel like I'm finetuning to get the most out of it or something else...whether its the right handle bars, exhaust,etc. I shoulda left things. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I like it now and am not doing any more.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

Yes and no... Yes, I liked my Harley when it was factory new as a factory machine. Then I set out to make it "my" moltorcycle. No company can possibly make a bike that the vast majority will like as is.. at least not in these modern times. I set out to make it my own with what I wanted on it and not what anyone else wants on it. I'm still making small changes here and there. Some changes were to accommodate function while others were for appearance. However in my book function comes before form almost every time. I would never make it something that I would be concerned every time I parked it as to what might happen. The bottom line is the ride.... the feeling I get when I'm on my trusty steed.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the prerequisites to buying my RK was that the dealer had to swap out those lousy factory bars. Other than a slightly modified exhaust and making the rear turn signals into run/brake/turn signals, mine is stock. (I don't consider adding chrome doodads as modifying).

I think that most of the real issues comes from getting into the motor and making race mods.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
1roadcaptain
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DannyZ71

I think that most of the real issues comes from getting into the motor and making race mods.
My point exactly.

Quick Reply: Who's satisfied with factory bikes?