General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:06 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by a10182
I understand why people would like to do it one time, but why do it again its only 11 miles, and are the roads around it any good I dont see what the big deal about this place is
I agree with you here. I've only ridden it once, lifetime, in one direction, but it'd be fun to go back and do it again. I'm more interested in riding the surrounding areas now...

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:51 AM
Geezr Glidr
|
Grand HDF Member

Hey Gang --- I'm the OP. Sounds like a must-do if you like twisting & turning in 1st & 2nd gear for 11 miles. I don't really, but if I'm with other people who want to ride it while we're there, sounds like we can do it, I guess. Also, for scenery, sounds like we could do alot better on the other roads nearby. Thx for the feedback.

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:55 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Hey Gang --- I'm the OP. Sounds like a must-do if you like twisting & turning in 1st & 2nd gear for 11 miles. I don't really, but if I'm with other people who want to ride it while we're there, sounds like we can do it, I guess. Also, for scenery, sounds like we could do alot better on the other roads nearby. Thx for the feedback.
You won't get any lower than 2nd gear.

Definitely would like to hear your feedback after the ride...

Enjoy the ride!

Old 02-18-2012 | 10:22 AM
katobird
Road Warrior

The best part of the dragon is finding a good spot to pull over and watch the idiots for 1/2 hr

Now that they paved numourous pull out areas

Last edited by katobird; 02-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2012 | 11:01 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

I ride it a couple of times a year. Spring and fall. The most fun was on a 250 Vespa, yes, it's that tight. The fastest run was on a 650 thumper. Big thumper's were designed for roads like that. A good rider on a Norton Manx would own the road. On my E-Glide I do it just because that's what I'm on, it would not be a first choice. Not for fun anyway.

The five points from Tiretronix are spot on. Although I've seen a lot more big trucks these last few years.

Frostbite; I've done both and I would rather ride Beartooth Pass because of the fantastic scenery. The two roads are nothing alike. I've also ridden most of the major roads in California and all the other hot spots out west. The scenery is always awesome but I have never seen as many tight turns strung together as the Dragon.

I have to doubt that Lostsoul has been on the Dragon. I'm not saying it's better than the roads in California, just different, way different. People that can't recognize that tend to be kids without alot of travel mileage.

Old 02-18-2012 | 11:19 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

Just a correction from an earlier post. THP does not advise truckers to use 129 but they do not restrict it. They have cracked down on enforcement though.To me they are still the biggest safety issue.There are several turns no matter how slow they will get over the double yellow.

Old 02-18-2012 | 01:45 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Rode it from TN to NC in May of 09 on my 62nd birthday and then NC to Tn the next year. We purposely plan our trips to do the Dragon and Skyway during the week. We designate a meet up place when doing the Dragon or the Skyway so that everyone can do it at their own pace and not have to worry about pushing to keep up for fear of being left behind. During the week and before tourist season and there should be no worries. JMO

Old 02-18-2012 | 11:12 PM
rossn2
Road Master

Yep, have ridden it last two years: Take your time and stay to the inside of blind curves. Cages, trucks and other bikes will probably be in your lane as you come out of curve. If you can go during the week when it's a lot less crowded. Also check out the Cherohala Skyway, Hwy 441 across the Smokey Mountain State Park (they have a new bypass coming out of Pigeon Forge so you don't have to go thru Gatlinburg). Pic is of me on Dragon this past Labor Day weekend.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Click on this one and watch this guy ride the Dragon:

http://www.us129photos.com/

Attached Thumbnails Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?-dragon.jpg  

Last edited by rossn2; 02-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2012 | 11:44 PM
FinallyRidin
Advanced

We did ride it last year once each direction, we did enjoy it of course we really like several of the roads in that area. We rode during the week, we avoided the weekend's crowds. Ride at your skill level and watch for those that are riding above theirs. We may drop by on our way back from Daytona.

Old 02-19-2012 | 12:10 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I and two of my sons did it in 2010 on our way down to Key West. I was on an Ultra and did it at where I felt comfortable which was just short of scraping the floor boards. Was not as busy as some times but I have ridden many other roads in S. Carolina and Tenn. that were longer and just as twisty.

I think that the PCH from Seattle to San Francisco is a much better ride.

Quick Reply: Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?