General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

tiretronix's post is right on. nothing says that you have to ride the dragon at breakneck speeds. in fact, that's the fastest way to get yourself a ticket. it is patrolled, pretty heavily at times.

the wife and i went last year, during the week. had a blast. it was in october, so crowds were down, temps were down (it snowed the first night we were there, just a touch). it was great. we did a couple of runs through the dragon, did the skyway, which was just awesome, and did this other route that the adv bikers in tellico plains mapped out for us.

we will do it again.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do I think it's something that *HAS* to be done?
Well, it's become the thing that all riders "need to do at least once", but that's more a peer-pressure thing than an absolute need.

That being said, it's a great time and I can't wait to go get back down in that area again in June. But I'll avoid the Skyway and Blueridge this next time.

But like I said, don't think of it as JUST that one stretch of 129...the whole area is just beautiful riding, even for us agoraphobics.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many great roads in all parts of our country. It is a blast to hit some new roads anywhere you go.

The Dragon is a technical road and it allows you to test yourself and your ride. As far as a dangerous road heck roads where there are more people on cell phones and texting are more dangerous then the Dragon. At least you will know noone will be texting on that road.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride within YOUR limits and do not let anyone push you to go faster or move over. Take your time on the first run through it to get an idea what you are up against. If your sig name is an indication, you ride a touring bike. Ride it like a touring bike, enjoy the ride and take your time. I found I enjoyed the other roads in that area to be more scenic and just as much fun. The first sportbike that wizzed by came up behind me just entering a hard right turn and lucky for him the other lane was empty. After that the rest didn't even phase me.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I've ridden the dragon twice. It was a great time both times. I really prefer the long sweeping curves as you approach the dragon (from either way). Anyway, if you're in the area and can make it to Mountain City, TN, ride The Snake from Mountain City to Bristol, TN on U.S. 421. It's about twice as long as the Dragon and has many "yee ha's" and a couple of "Oh $h!ts" too. I'd do The Snake again before I'd do the Dragon again.

Last edited by one-up; 02-13-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rode it once on my way to sturgis,early on a monday morn,,,about 6 or seven,,,no bikes just a highway truck coming the other way,,,,i wouldn't go out of my way to ride it,but seeing it's only 900 miles from my house i figured why not?loved the cherahola right next to it,,,,,

Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Trainlights
Tourer

Dragon is awesome! I'll be there this year, but I also treat it like the beast it's named after. Dangerous, so I ride with caution, and let the speed demons do their own thing.

Thanks for the video! I had not seen that one and really appreciated it.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
1roadcaptain
6th Gear

I've enjoyed it many times. I suggest during the week. Also I've ridden it at night which was a blast until I came around a curve and a bear was in the road but it was polite and scurried up the side of the hill. I stopped in the road and checked him/her out. That was actualy my favorite memory.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Hope to do it some day.

I have rode the section between Legget, CA and the Mendocino coast on hwy 101 and have been told by folks that have done both that it puts the Dragon to shame. I don't know if that is true but it is a pretty impressive stretch by itself. throw in some logging trucks and it can be gnarly.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
vholmes58
3rd Gear

I to did it in october last year was cold and wet but no traffic was great had to watch out for leaves on road. Rode over the top of smokies on my way back to Al the next day snowed up on top.. The Snake really intrigues me Im going to have to look that one up in august when I go to Bristol

Quick Reply: Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?