General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
tiretronix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Or is it really a must-ride? Takin' a trip down that way this year, and have a couple of buddies who want to do the dragon while we're nearby. I don't care if we don't ride it. I've heard that it's getting busier & busier every year. I'm not worried about my own driving. I've just heard too many things about people who take those right turns JUST a little too wide, and end up in the wrong lane.
OK, set back and pay attention. There are a lot better and safer rides in that area, but if it is on your bucket list by all means do it. I have heard 1000 suggestions on how to ride it so I'll give you one more because I have ridden it about 6 times mostly because I wanted to get from one side on the mountain to the other. Yes, there are horror stories and people get hurt, but that is a risk you take on a motorcycle anytime you ride. Don't go with an attitude or believe some of the talk about the ******* sport bikes. They are NOT your enemy. For the most part, they are good riders and will respect that you are on a large bike. The cars with race track mentality are ones to watch because they don't have the talent to run the Dragon and because they are in a cage will try to intimidate you. I will list what I think are the finer points to staying safe. Some may disagree and you are welcome to chime in but try to help the OP with his questions.

1. It is a public road, so you have as much right as anybody to be on it, but that holds true with any other licensed vehicle. Some corners are so sharp that an 18 wheeler will block both lanes so NEVER override your line of sight. You just might go around a corner and have no where to go, and be prepared to stop. Rarely will you see a big rig though.

2. Ride YOUR line in YOUR comfort zone. The sport bikes will come on you fast, but they will wait and go around you so fast that you'll almost miss them. It will be a double yellow line, but it is the safest way, so hold your line. Some will suggest to pull over and give them room. DON'T do it because you will be setting yourself up for a BAD line in the next corner and get in trouble real quick. Believe me, the sport bikes will take care of themselves and everybody goes home safe.

3. Next and most important, there will be some high dollar sport cars that will ride on your *** and try to intimidate you. DO NOT speed up and override your experience level. For the most part, they are little rich kids that can not handle the power of the car so keep your cool. Motorcycle vs Car = Dead. There are a few pull offs along the way where you can safely pull over and let the idiots by. Be on the lookout and take it when you can. If they really **** you off just wait until you get to the bottom of the hill next to the lake. Sometimes they will stop there in groups to talk about how they fu*ked with you. At least you and him will be on mother earth and that evens the odds for an *** whoopin'.

4. I think it needs repeating. HOLD YOUR LINE AND STAY IN YOUR COMFORT ZONE. When possible pull over at you convenience.

5. Try to go during the week because it will be much less crowded.

Sport bike riders, please comment if I am wrong about my post. I'm never too old to learn myself.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM
JimBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattcW78
I've never ridden it and dont want to hijack your thread but Is it better than the mountain roads in socal? I ride palomar, mesa grande, montezuma sunrise and tons of other stuff within a days ride of oceanside.
It's been 25 years since living in/riding in SoCal, but, having ridden both areas, I enjoyed the scenery in the SoCal mountains more than the Dragon. The Dragon has a bunch of turns in a short distance, but has very limited scenery. There is plenty of scenic riding throughout that area of NC/TN, though.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
HarleyCamper
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tiretronix -- great post. I've ridden it many times too. I'm just a cruiser, not a crotch rocket guy. I not only stay within my comfort zone here, but ride the thing even wussier than I usually do. And "never overriding your line of sight" is huge. Well said!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
tiretronix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimBob
It's been 25 years since living in/riding in SoCal, but, having ridden both areas, I enjoyed the scenery in the SoCal mountains more than the Dragon. The Dragon has a bunch of turns in a short distance, but has very limited scenery. There is plenty of scenic riding throughout that area of NC/TN, though.
Jim, there is plenty of scenery, ya just have to stop at one of the overlooks and not try to look while your riding. That will get you hurt. It is not open like some of the riding in California and you have to allow time for the extra stops, but I agree with what your'e saying.

Attached Thumbnails Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?-141.jpg   Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?-142.jpg   Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?-143.jpg   Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?-144.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We rode it about 3 yrs ago and thought it was fun, but thought the roads around that area were better and with less traffic.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going this year, thanks for the advice guys.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden it twice and would do it many more times if it weren't 500 miles away. It is a great ride and in my opinion it is as dangerous as you make it. If you ride like a bat outta hell, it is going to be dangerous and you won't have time to react to some of the other people who are idiots. Ride at the pace you are comfortable with and you should be fine. The Dragon is a rode to appreciate the technicality of riding, not the scenery - keep your eyes on the road ahead of you. Siteseeing is good on the Cherohaua Skyway or the Blueridge Parkway

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, the ride down to it was just as good and important as running that particular stretch of road itself.

Of course, I have a deathly fear of heights, so the Chiuaua Skyway was a 30-mile panic attack for me, but the rest of the day's ride (with a friend from Chattanooga) was great. And only about an hour was spent actually AT the TotD itself.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode it in 2008 on a week day! It was fun but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to ride it again!
pay attention! Don't ride past your ability! Enjoy the ride!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,745 Likes on 1,669 Posts

So the guys that have done the Dragon and Beartooth, which would you want to go back to? I'm in spitting distance of Beartooth, but it's a long haul to the Dragon.

Quick Reply: Anybody Ridden The T.O.t.D. Who'd Never Do It Again?