General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?advice on new mirrors please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?advice on new mirrors please?

For those of you that have shopped for mirrors to replace the stock mirrors, what should I watch for? I noticed some have the glass that is stamp with "objects in mirrors are closer than they appear" and some do not. Is the field of view bad on those that don't have that? I realize the field would be smaller. Some have a flat glass and some have a concave glass. I know I don't want plasti-chrome.

Thanks for any advice,
Curtis

Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny but that's the one thing that bothers me about my bike, it came with those stupid slightly convex mirrors that I've always hated. IMO - the mirror isn't going to show you everything, we know that I hope, so why would you want what it does show to be distorted ? I mean, those mirrors should really say- objects in mirror are closer, moving faster, bigger and may still be in your blind spot. If I can't judge speed and distance the mirror is worthless.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:39 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer flat glass on a bike. I also prefer the ones you can adjust on the fly over mirrors that lock down and cannot be moved without a wrench.
joker machine makes a great product if you want a recommendation

Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone knows where I can get a flat glass version of the new stock mirrors please let me know 2012 FXDWG

Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the arlin ness 4 point on my bike, the only thing that I do not like is that they are so short, being that when I have on my gauntlets they will barely fit between the mirror and the grips.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by zukeeper
I prefer flat glass on a bike. I also prefer the ones you can adjust on the fly over mirrors that lock down and cannot be moved without a wrench.
joker machine makes a great product if you want a recommendation

aha...I didn't realize some lock down. I move the stock ones when I ride at night and other cars are riding my butt. Good thought.

sounds like the flat and concave glass is a preference thing. All good advice. Thanks for the replies

Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I own a few sets. Stock, aftermarket round, and two sets of smaller custom mirrors I bought off ebay. Not very long ago I came as close to being killed as I have ever come on a motorcycle because I had my tiny custom billet mirrors mounted. I absolutely did not see a car in the other lane on a merge. I am alive for no other reason than HIS driving skills. Now when I think mirrors, I thing big. Being able to see is WAY better than really cool looking mirrors. I don't have a flat verses convex preference, as long as they have a big enough field of view I can safely see.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

yeah....I have 2 small children I want to make it home to after each ride. Definitely want to be safe

Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Trainlights
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if those "lock down" ones you mention would help at all with my Sportsters. I get the usual movement whenever either sportster hits the RPMs. In fact, my custom will have the mirrors move if I take off to hard! It seems to be fairly common (from what I've seen others say) and my solution was to put some silicone around the back to prevent them moving.

But if those lock downs would do the trick, that would be even better!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I own a few sets. Stock, aftermarket round, and two sets of smaller custom mirrors I bought off ebay. Not very long ago I came as close to being killed as I have ever come on a motorcycle because I had my tiny custom billet mirrors mounted. I absolutely did not see a car in the other lane on a merge. I am alive for no other reason than HIS driving skills. Now when I think mirrors, I thing big. Being able to see is WAY better than really cool looking mirrors. I don't have a flat verses convex preference, as long as they have a big enough field of view I can safely see.
I can see your point about wanting to see what is behind you or in the lane next to you before you change lanes, but I never relay solely on mirrors for that, I am a head turner, I always double check what my mirrors show me be looking over my shoulder (on which ever side I am moving to) to ensure my path is clear. My mirrors are mostly there because the law says must have one mirror.

Quick Reply: ?advice on new mirrors please?