General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you ride?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts
Arrow Where do you ride?!

Now, I know what your thinking, but this is a lil' different. What I want too know is ''where on the highway, do you ride? Where is the safest place to position yourself? Do you believe the manual telling you the center of the lane is safest regardless of any oils?! Is lane splitting considered ok, to you. even if your state regards the practice as illegal.

I prefer the left side of the lane at all times, First I can see the motorist in both of their mirrors, (front an side). Second It keeps me away from any debris that tends too collect on the right side of the highway/road.
As far as which lane, right or middle.
so lets here your reasons, and where do you ride?!

Last edited by rocket23; 02-09-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
GatorFan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left side of the lane ensuring I can see motorist I'm their mirror.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left side of the lane. I want to see their face in the driver side mirror.

UNLESS of course the asshat is smoking.....in which case I back off a little, and move to the right-center of the lane until I see the cigarette butt go flying by.

As far as highway riding, I tend to be constantly moving thru the lanes to keep my "bubble" clear. I don't have a favorite lane, but I don't want to be bunched up amongst other cagers either....especially when I fall into their blindspot for more than a second.
If I had my choice, I would go with the right lane, the right shoulder tends to be larger than the center median, so in case of 'oh ****' moment, I have a clear path to escape into that should be relatively clear.
I do try to avoid the center lane when there is one. Too much hassle to worry about damn cages on either side at the same time. All it takes is one idiot to not be paying attention and your get sandwiched in between them.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On a 2 lane road I ride the center line, adjust accordingly. On a 4 lane I ride the center line, pass on far left, back to center. Always 5 over the limit and find the blank zone. Speed by trucks on far left. Never in the slow lane unless it is my exit. Move to right and allow super speeders to pass then get behind them at a safe distance. I am usually the fastest moving vehicle, not a slow poke and wont ride with a slow poke. I can control what is in front of me not what is beside or behind me. Run fast, find space and create space. I feel safer at 80mph on the highway than I do in town at 30mph. Bottom line , keep a buffer zone, I am faster and can stop faster than most cars, that"s the fun of riding. If cars are passing you, you are not riding safe.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride left side....no matter what type of road....interstate or two lane rd.

I just feel more comfortable

Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

with no oncoming traffic I keep towards the middle. when oncoming does appear, I slide over to the right in case the idiot can't keep it in his lane

Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
Now, I know what your thinking, but this a lil' different. What I want too know is ''where on the highway, do you ride? Where is the safest place to position yourself? Do you believe the manual telling you the center of the lane is safest regardless of any oils?! Is lane splitting considered ok, to you. even if your state regards the practice as illegal.

I prefer the left side of the lane at all times, First I can see the motorist in both of their mirrors, (front an side). Second It keeps me away from any debris that tends too collect on the right side of the highway/road.
As far as which lane, right or middle.
so lets here your reasons, and where do you ride?!
I use the left side of whatever lane I'm in. That's where I've always felt more comfortable. For more than one reason. As mentioned, less trash and/or sludgy type runoff crap collecting at the right, the driver ahead of me can see me in his side view and rear view mirrors, and my opinion's that the center lane is a trail of engine oil, atf and antifreeze. I'm not an aggressive style rider at all. So lane splitting's out of the question. I want as much space between me and cars or trucks as I can get. I ride where ever I want and when my time and money allows me to. I prefer any route that's scenic opposed to screaming down the interstate.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
with no oncoming traffic I keep towards the middle. when oncoming does appear, I slide over to the right in case the idiot can't keep it in his lane
I should add something here, when coming too a left hand turning cager, at an intersection, I will aim my lights right at the cager, it tends too freeze them in their tracks, (so they don't do something stupid). And if indeed they do, you will have the opportunity too pass them on their right. and let them complete theirr turn , and go on with their moronic lives.....

Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

another good rule of thumb when cars are turning.....don't look at the driver, stare at their tires. Had an old trucker tell me that long ago. Watch the tires.....they never lie

Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, left side but back enough that the cager in front of me can see me in the outside and inside.

Quick Reply: Where do you ride?!