Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting on sunglasses...really?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Putting on sunglasses...really?

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/702089761/

Attached Thumbnails Putting on sunglasses...really?-nicklogo04_flat_lesstype.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
05KrazyTrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im surprised, i never heard of this accident, its really not all that far from where i live. that sux and i am sorry for those families that suffered the horrible losses. this sounds more like she just was not paying attention, but then again i was not there to judge someone like that.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Illinois, champion of personal freedom

Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

K-ripes. What one ******* can do to so many lives.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

"In Illinois, if there is any amount of an illegal drug in a motorist’s bloodstream, that person is automatically criminally responsible for a crash. The state does not have to prove the driver was impaired."

I'm hoping the reporter isn't being accurate here otherwise a 90 year old half-blind man could rear end a stopped motorcyclist who has a trace of marijuanna in his blood and the motorcyclist would be liable. Insurance implications would be awful, too.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 517 Posts

Anderson also sentenced Bernard to two years of supervision upon her release, and she must pay $2,615 in court fines. She faced between six and 28 years in prison.

The 28 would have been better. JMO.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Anderson also sentenced Bernard to two years of supervision upon her release, and she must pay $2,615 in court fines. She faced between six and 28 years in prison.

God forbid you ever rear end someone because the sun blinds you?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
God forbid you ever rear end someone because the sun blinds you?
She sent a text message to her boyfriend 3 minutes before the wreck stating she was "too sick to drive." Sounds to me like between 1) hitting the canabis 2) texting while driving 3) not putting on the sunglasses on a sunny morning BEFORE starting to drive 4) not paying attention to the road in font of her and 5) driving in a condition that she herself is quoted as saying was too debilitating for her to drive that this was more than just "rear ending someone because the sun blinded her".

Even throwing out the pot issue, that's still a heck of a lot of "bad decisions" leading up to the wreck. I feel the sentence is fair though...and it serves to illustrate that "distracted while driving" laws need to cover a wider range of issues AND carry stiffer penalties.

Worse, this just adds to that statistic you hear of "in 85% of all motor vehicle accidents involving a motorcycle the motorcycle is the striking vehicle" bullshit.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959

+1 At least she wouldn't be doing it again for 28 years.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
She sent a text message to her boyfriend 3 minutes before the wreck stating she was "too sick to drive." Sounds to me like between 1) hitting the canabis 2) texting while driving 3) not putting on the sunglasses on a sunny morning BEFORE starting to drive 4) not paying attention to the road in font of her and 5) driving in a condition that she herself is quoted as saying was too debilitating for her to drive that this was more than just "rear ending someone because the sun blinded her".

Even throwing out the pot issue, that's still a heck of a lot of "bad decisions" leading up to the wreck. I feel the sentence is fair though...and it serves to illustrate that "distracted while driving" laws need to cover a wider range of issues AND carry stiffer penalties.

Worse, this just adds to that statistic you hear of "in 85% of all motor vehicle accidents involving a motorcycle the motorcycle is the striking vehicle" bullshit.
Content of the text message shouldn't matter, what if she had said "oh my gosh someone just scared me with a surprise, I think I'm too excited to drive!" please, I say I'm too tired to go to work everyday but I still go,

The only two valid points you make really are texting while driving (if she was, the article didn't say, I read it as sending it before she started driving)

And two, being distracted, again, completely subjective, I read the article as she was blinded by the sun and was putting on sunglasses which she could do without being distracted.