General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Last American made Motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012 | 06:08 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Go back to your hole, troll.

Old 02-11-2012 | 07:01 PM
tiretronix
Cruiser

How long is it going take to get over this "Made in America" bullshit ? Unless you have been living in a cave, very few companies can make that claim. TV's haven't been made here in over 30 years and no one has complained, so what is big deal about Harley. They are trying to survive just like all other US companies. I am big on supporting companies that treat me right and I ride a Harley because it is what floats my boat. It doesn't matter what you buy, it is just that you buy. The economy will take care of itself because cream always comes to the top. In other words, you make a good product at a reasonable cost the consumer could care less where it came from. Beside that, Americans are still being employed so they can go buy goods and repeat the cycle. How many of you are worst off than you grandparents ? Get over it and go forward and quit whining.

Old 02-11-2012 | 07:12 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by orangevette
whats the home for Bendix carburetors? just asking cause i'm not sure

And while you're at it, what about the Tillotson carbs?

Old 02-11-2012 | 07:16 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's what seems more interesting to know (please pardon my deviation from the original question Schu):

What percentage of Japanese bikes have parts made in Japan vs. China or elsewhere?

Same with Italian bikes, British, etc...

Old 02-11-2012 | 08:16 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I still think the Generator Shovels were the last 99% or above Made in America Harley's.

Old 02-11-2012 | 09:41 PM
randayn
|
Banned

I am way over the argument that Harley is an American Motorcycle. It is a bike made by an American Company. It is part of our national history and a global product.

We all know that today it is assembled from parts provided from the industry of many other countries. The Japanese being a dominant source of tech parts.

I asked a question, it is obvious so far, no one knows for sure.

It is also very obvious that there are still many people that are defensive and offensive when it is mentioned that the Japanese and others have contributed to the development of Harley-Davidson.

I ride a Harley and I respect the Japanese technology and industry that makes my bike as good as it is.

It is no longer an American Motorcycle, it belongs to the world.

Old 02-12-2012 | 12:04 AM
warrconn
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I'm thinking it was around 1969 for all the big harleys , 1970 the new FX line had Showa frontends and Keihin carbs came into the fold early 70's sometime . Jap crap just escalated after that . Front ends where a minor improvement for most bikes .
Sounds about right.

Old 02-12-2012 | 12:24 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Originally Posted by randayn
What year/ model Harley was the Last one made with ALL parts manufactured in the USA ?

The Last American Motorcycle. Picture Please. Thank you.
Ask that question to Willie G. and you won't get an answer.....And you won't get it here either!!

Old 05-29-2012 | 05:02 PM
JR_of_Utah
Stage II

About 38% of the new Harley is American. If you want an all American bike, you'll have to buy a Victory. However, their wiring harness is Asian and the brake calipers are made in Italy.

Old 05-29-2012 | 08:33 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by randayn
I am way over the argument that Harley is an American Motorcycle. It is a bike made by an American Company. It is part of our national history and a global product.

It is also very obvious that there are still many people that are defensive and offensive when it is mentioned that the Japanese and others have contributed to the development of Harley-Davidson.
Interesting comments...when Superior and Dixie products started showing up in the 70's everyone's panties got bunched about foreign technology and parts reliabiility. Today it is about parts made elswhere and Dixie and Superior parts are recognized as actually being quality replacement parts.

Been trying to keep my 84 close to stock (except for American made CycleElectric components, the price of updating from a 22 to a 32 amp system). Tough finding NOS (Japanese made) parts.