General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy says Dyna Beads made him crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,552 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Guy says Dyna Beads made him crash

Talking to a friend of mine today, and he related a story to me told to him by the guy who went down. I'll try to relate it to you as best I can. He claims he was in a left hand curve and spotted a deer. Where exactly in relation to him it was, I'm unclear about. But anyway, he said he hit the brakes and slowed way down, then upon accelerating again encountered a front end wobble that made him crash and is blaming it on the Dyna Beads. He's claiming the beads got out of place in the tire, surmising that when the tire slowed down, the beads kept moving, which threw it out of balance then. I said "maybe if he locked the wheel up, but as long as the wheel is spinning, centrifugal force would keep the beads in place". He then said next time I was out riding, slow down real fast, then accelerate again. I said I do that all the time with no problem. I've been running Dyna Beads for a few years now and love them. Have never encountered any handling problems that I could say were caused by them either. I told him dude might want to check his steering neck bearings. Anybody have any thoughts they want to add to this?? Anybody ever have any problems they can directly link to Dyna Beads?/ thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Think he just wants to place on the blame or someone or thing other then himself.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 PM
chevyguy4321
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know alot of people using them at the track. So slowing down from 160 to 70 than back up to 130 through a turn I am sure I would have heard about it. Sounds like rider error and a hurt ego to me.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The old friend of a friend told me....

nuff said

Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

BS alert

Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,928 Likes on 1,814 Posts

:i con_dunce:

Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

They are always moving around upon starting and stopping so why not? I fail to see why this cannot happen. It is only centrifugal force that holds the beads in place. On dyna beads web page they state that all the beads fall to the bottom of the tire upon stopping.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Dyna Beads

Originally Posted by qtrracer
They are always moving around upon starting and stopping so why not? I fail to see why this cannot happen. It is only centrifugal force that holds the beads in place. On dyna beads web page they state that all the beads fall to the bottom of the tire upon stopping.
Probably because when the wheel starts spinning again the beads redistribute themselves. If they all fall to the bottom when you stop then they will all thin out on the inside around the tire when it rolls.

Probably got a hurt EGO and looking for someone to blame and maybe money because the beads caused the accident...yeah right.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
chevyguy4321
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Think about it this way the beads balance the wheel in a radial direction while your steering stem is what controls the steering. The beads flow to the front when in a brake but will quickly regain its position on the throttle again. If anything the OPs friend should look at the steering stem bearing and/or steering damper if one is equiped. More than likely I believe it was just rider error.

plus I believe the beads weigh almost nothing.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BULLSH!T!!!

Tell your friend to learn how to ride.

Quick Reply: Guy says Dyna Beads made him crash