General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet. Which do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Helmet. Which do you prefer?

I live in a state where helmets are required by law. I have been wearing novelity helmets for the last 17 years but thinking about going to a bell custom 500. I have a question for those of you who wear open face DOT helmets. Does your head get blown back in the wind or do you have a sore neck after a long ride? If you live in a required state do you prefer Novelity helmets or DOT and why?
Thanks

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I prefer a 3/4 with a face shield. HJC makes the Harley ones and you can get a decent price here:

http://www.helmetcity.com/

I just bought a FF HJC as well. But I need some type of face shield.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Daytona Skull Cap, 1/2 helmet.

http://www.daytonahelmets.com/home/d...ile_specs.html

I have tried dozens of helmets. I have a small head, and this one fits the best and does not ride up or put a strain on my neck.

My state requires DOT, I have friends who ride novelty, I just dont want to run the risk.

-

Last edited by junior07; 02-07-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in a helmet state. In summer I wear a DOT approved HCI half helmet. Colder weather I wear a SHARK modular style helmet.
No sore neck our head blown back with either helmet but then I have a good windshield that pushes the wind up over head.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Check these out.

http://store.justifieddefiance.com/h...eatured&page=2

Yes there is a difference . A little more presure head ,neck at speed. Without a windshield
Ya got to know a buddy that has some dot helmets laying around in his garage to take for a test drive.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wear a Shoei Qwest FF for any distance riding, riding out of town or cold weather riding. When the weather is nice and around town I wear an HCI half helmet (polo style), even though I'm probably in more danger with in-town riding. Oh, and if you're over 18, you don't have to wear a helmet in my state.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bell Custom 500. My head does not get blown back at highway speeds. I also wear the Daytona Skull Cap 1/2. Both these helmets are light, comfortable and look decent for DOT helmets.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Longhair4life
I live in a state where helmets are required by law. I have been wearing novelity helmets for the last 17 years but thinking about going to a bell custom 500. I have a question for those of you who wear open face DOT helmets. Does your head get blown back in the wind or do you have a sore neck after a long ride? If you live in a required state do you prefer Novelity helmets or DOT and why?
Thanks
My preference is no helmet, followed by a novelty. In cold weather my preference is full face to keep out the cold. My least favorite is probably the DOT half helmet.

BUT

I have been thinking that I'd like to have a Bell 500 or similar for riding into helmet states, since it would cut out a lot of noise by covering my ears, maybe let me hear my iPod, without being as hot as a Full face in summer.

I've been looking at the Bell, Biltwell and Z1R helmets. I really like the looks of the Z1R Jimmy Retro.

Last edited by brenn; 02-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
NJShooter
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear the custom500 , great helmet. In the summer I use a nexl1/2 shell dot. Both are nice and light. They don't create any drag while riding.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

I wear an open face without the screen, and yes the wind pressure on an interstate type road does tend to push your head back and eventually makes your neck ache a bit, then again I don't have a screen on my bike that would make a difference.

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/helmets/...FYsntAodkidf6Q

Quick Reply: Helmet. Which do you prefer?