General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet. Which do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Shoei Quest FF in the cold and a skid lid the other times.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalFBLO
Shoei Quest FF in the cold and a skid lid the other times.
How do you like the Quest?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ockam
When you try on a helmet it should be snug enough to move the skin on your forehead above your eyebrows, but not so much that you are in discomfort.

For a 3/4 helmet, you may have to flex out the sides on the Fulmer or Bell 500 just enough to slip your ears into the padding while the helmet is rotated a quarter turn forward, then roll it back as you put it on. As you wear the helmet, it gets easier to put on and off as the padding naturally compresses.
So you're saying that the padding on the sides of these lids is firm? I've been looking for a 3/4 like that. On my Daytona 3/4 the padding on the sides is very soft. Years ago I had a Bell Super Magnum 3/4. It was both DOT and Snell approved and the padding around the ears was very firm. . Best damn helmet I've ever owned.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM
rnothog
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I was a slave to fashion and avoided helmets altogether, since I live in AZ.

Sometimes wore a half helmet or a non-DOT Head Trip polo. On long road trips out of state I wore a Shoei RJ Air 3/4.

Then, facing a late fall trip to Cali to run the coast, I took a flyer and bought a Scorpion full face EXO-400. That was six years ago. Suddenly, I could hear the radio on my FLHX, and I didn't need to smear sunscreen in order to keep from having parts of my face sawed off by the doc. Also arrived at the end of a 665 mile day feeling like I could have done some more, not buzzy at all. It was warmer, too.

Now I've got a Shoei RF1100 and an Arai RX-Q.

For a great touring full face, check out the Shoei Qwest.

Function over form. Better protection and more comfort.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to a full face modular with a couple of extra face shields three years ago. One shield is tinted and mirrored. The other is clear. Self explanatory. Sun shield in the summer and face protection when cold/raining. Knocks down a lot of wind noise. Dot approval isn't why I buy a helmet but most of the good ones are at least dot approved. Dot isn't the best standard.

Last edited by oldairboater; 02-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The common thread I'm seeing is full helms for full dressed bikes (and that does look more appropriate). Don't see many full face helms on the more customized bikes though.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
The common thread I'm seeing is full helms for full dressed bikes (and that does look more appropriate). Don't see many full face helms on the more customized bikes though.
That's because the custom bike draws the eyes away from the ugly mug under the helmet.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ego that needed that one off bike also needs to be seen as cool in my books sometimes. Helmets aren't cool. Some of the guys I know that run out and buy custom bikes that ride like crap do it over appearance and ego. Not true in every case.
Originally Posted by Benway

Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SHOEI RF1000

Just got this for X-Mas for around town but I really like my Full Face

Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
When I ride with a half on the highway at 70-80, with no windshield, it's no problem.
Yeah, that. I have 4 half melmets, 3 DOT & 1 novelty. Most people don't believe me, but the VEGA XTS Naked DOT rides waaaaaay better than my $14.99 novelty. Like an earlier post, I believe I finally found a helmet thats the proper size & fits.

Quick Reply: Helmet. Which do you prefer?