General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet. Which do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I hit the "K" rail on the freeway head first after exiting the bike in an entirely involuntary way . . . and walked away without even a headache . . . . sold me!
Must not have hit very hard. I was ejected off a motocross bike on a track during a race, went over a 6' fence into the infield where the spectators were and I landed head first onto dirt. I was knocked out for about 15 minutes (first thing I remember was being loaded into an ambulance). The inside of my helmet was broken in several places. I left the bike probably doing about 70mph. Your lucky to walk away from a direct hit to your head with no issues.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I wear a Shoei full face and a Skid Lid half helmet.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Must not have hit very hard. I was ejected off a motocross bike on a track during a race, went over a 6' fence into the infield where the spectators were and I landed head first onto dirt. I was knocked out for about 15 minutes (first thing I remember was being loaded into an ambulance). The inside of my helmet was broken in several places. I left the bike probably doing about 70mph. Your lucky to walk away from a direct hit to your head with no issues.
Luckily, by the time I left the bike I her her slowed down to maybe 20-30 MPH 'cause 70 would have been a different story I'm sure. Also I think the shoulder armor in my jacket may have supported the sides of the helmet. Not sure but in retrospect I would have thought I should have had something go bad in my neck, and nothing did.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm on a RK so have a windshield. I wear a Shoei 3/4 RJ Platinum R most of the year and love it. It vents well in warm weather and is both DOT and Snell approved. It has a sun visor on it that does a great job in keeping the sun out of your eyes on those late afternoons when it drives you nuts.

I don't notice any buffetting with it and it's very comfortable. With a good pair of ear buds I can listen to my iPod and get great sound.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Luckily, by the time I left the bike I her her slowed down to maybe 20-30 MPH 'cause 70 would have been a different story I'm sure. Also I think the shoulder armor in my jacket may have supported the sides of the helmet. Not sure but in retrospect I would have thought I should have had something go bad in my neck, and nothing did.
Your a lucky man.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a Harley half helmet. 98214-12VM

But when it's below 50 degrees I wear a full face helmet

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Benway, thanks for that post. Very helpful! I have been thinking about the new biltwell because I have always have great luck with their products, but I am still reeling about the money I wasted on their non-DOT plastic toy helmet. I'm glad they stepped up with a DOT helmet. Especially with the Virginia cops actually writing tickets for non-DOT helmets with unnerving regularity. I currently have a 40 dollar DOT approved TMS helmet I got from Jafrum, and have been weighing the new biltwell against the Bell 500. Your pics are a great help, Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Benway

Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a skid lid half helmet... well did, love the wind in my face and being able to see to the side of me.

I picked up a sweet licks nov dot, this thing is lighter than my skid lid and more comfortable, Ill probably stick with it the rest of my riding days.

Tried the full face... not a fan at all!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
thepickerelninja
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude last year at the Annual Laconia Swim meet, I bought that new harley helmet that the visor slides out from inside the upper portion of the helmet. I can't tell you how awesome that thing is in fowl weather. It's tinted for sun and doesn't fog up in rain because it only comes down part way. You can leave it up and wear shades on sunny days. Just sayin check it out!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear the daytona skull cap. great fit and you dont look like a mushroom head.

Quick Reply: Helmet. Which do you prefer?